Diagnosis for my 'Liberty' please.

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Rookie_Green_Thumb

Diagnosis for my 'Liberty' please.

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Im almost afraid to ask.... :(

Clickable thumbnails.

Thanks in advance :???:
Jaime
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I don't see anything. Was there something specific you were worried about?
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Yes, on the edge by my ring finger there is a funny discolored spot. It is a little on the brown side, and somewhat bumpy.

Thanks for looking :D
Jaime
nimblewill

Post by nimblewill »

From the lighting in your photos, it looks like this plant is in a lot of sun. My guess is that it's sunburn. If the plant is in fact in a lot of sun, with your zone and the high temps we've been having I think the plant looks really good, all things considered. Give it plenty of water and it should grow like a weed, but be prepared for it to look reallllly ugly by the end of the summer. Can you rig a shade structure?
Bill

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Nimblewill,

It is a new plant. And has only been in that spot since Friday. I have several Francee plants in those same beds...and they get sun all day...and they do awesome. I was hoping for the same with this gal. She will get about 4-5 hours of hot sun every day.

I am very good about watering on a consistant basis early in the morning though. The pic was taken at about 6:00 pm and the sun was on it's way down soon.

If it doesnt do well there this year, or starts to look really bad, I will move it. I am hoping it does like my Francee's.

Anyhoo....since the plant is new to me...does it look healthy to you all? I got her from a nursery, and looking at her there it seemed nice and healthy. I didnt notice the spot till I planted it. And my camera is only so so....I cant get a good clear pic too close up.
Jaime
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Looks healthy to me! The leaves probably just got a little bruised in transit...that would be my guess. :roll:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Okay! Thanks for looking guys! I will keep a close eye on it...it's just that she is soooo pretty..I would hate to have to dig her up. I really like her. 8-)

Thanks for the input!
Jaime
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My 4 year old Liberty is in full morning sun until noon. It's never turned "realllly ugly" yet. :D
Attachments
Liberty 2.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree it is probably just some sun burn or drought issues with transplanting. Viruses don't cause brown spots.

And I would think that 4 to 5 hours of hot afternoon sun might not be the most ideal spot for Liberty. Francee is one of the most sun tolerant plant out there, and your Liberty will likely grow fine, but come August I would also think it could get the summer uglies, especially this first year. Next year it might be hardened off to that location though.

Good luck!

Chris
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Thanks Mary Ann and Chris! I will keep a good eye on her, and if she doesnt do so well in that spot this year I will figure out something. She does look nice in that corner though. I see her first thing when i come out from the garage, or park the car in the drive. But I do want to plant it in the best spot possible.

Thanks for looking! With all the posts about HVX, I got a little nervous when I saw the spot...being pretty new to hosta...I was hoping that I didnt mess up and buy a diseased plant :(

ETA: Your Liberty looks beautiful Mary Ann! Thanks for sharing :D
Jaime
New Topic Post Reply