I got Lady Guinevere infected with virus HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Papou

I got Lady Guinevere infected with virus HVX

Post by Papou »

After hosta gardening for 5 years the virus finally got to me...at least in a way that it showed...possible the virus must have been hiding in my gardens for a long time...dont know for sure. Anyway, here's a photo of my infected Lady Guinevere...BTW, the virus was confirmed by Chris...and I thank you Chris.
Papou

Post by Papou »

...trying to get my photo under 80....
Papou

Post by Papou »

Got it now...thanks to Chris...
Last edited by Papou on Jun 25, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Papou,

You can just link your photo to photobucket in almost the same way you posted it on garden web.

Just put the URL to the image and enclose it with the IMG tags like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Papou/Leaf2007LadyGuivenere_sick.jpg[/img]
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Sorry, Papou! I had never seen Lady Guinivere here in the KC, USA area till this year, and every one I saw was infected. Sorry to hear you are dealing with it, but maybe it is still isolated to LG. :evil:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Papou

Post by Papou »

Thanks Chris,
I'll try with Shade Fanfare...another infected with virus HVX:
Last edited by Papou on Jun 25, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papou

Post by Papou »

I think I got it now...my mistake was to go down to Add an Attachment and try to work in there.
Now I understand that all I have to do is to paste the copied image from Photobucket in this present window.
I'll post another pic ...this time Choo Choo Train...which is also infected with virus HVX:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh, no, Papou! Do you know how it got started?
Charla
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:evil:

Sorry for you, otherwise they look lovely

Are they all 5 years old :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ademink

Post by ademink »

That stinks!!!! Were they all touching or did you divide them, work on them, etc w/o sterilizing?

I'm really sorry for you! :(
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry to see it has already spread :(

Shade Fanfare was one of the easiest to infect in one of the published studies. It was reported to show symptoms weeks after being infected. Based on this photo I would guess it might have caught it last summer, maybe even last fall.

But glad that you are taking it seriously and getting rid of them. And thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your story. People need to know what it looks like and need to know that we have to get rid of these, plus none of us are alone in having problem plants. Start fresh and then always remember to disinfect tools, wash hands, and be careful of what you buy.

Good luck Papou!

Chris
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Sorry Papou!!!! I've got a pic I've got to put on my computer in the morning so I can post. I just saw it yesterday. I think I've got it too. :cry: The only good thing if I do have it is this hosta hasn't been touched since I put it in, but it's very close to others.

Debbie
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

oh no , very sorry and very sad for you.....i been admiring often your web site papou since last year and just love it , so much pictures ....just tought it was a beautiful web site.

i too started my garden 5 years ago when we moved to this new house and i am so paranoid with this virus that i walk at least 10 times a day to check the hostas one by one.....espacially since Chris confirmed me last weekend that my gold drop was indeed infected , so now i am on high alert too.....

i sincerly hope for you no others are infected and that everything gets better.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Papou and Canadian Hosta Girl, how long did you have these hostas in your gardens before they showed symptoms? My hostas are all 3-5 years old this year...
Charla
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

eastwood2007 wrote:Papou and Canadian Hosta Girl, how long did you have these hostas in your gardens before they showed symptoms? My hostas are all 3-5 years old this year...
Charla i had 3 gold drop hostas for it's third year here , i had all 3 next to one another at the end of a pergola pole , no other hostas surrounding them and only one of the 3 gold drops this year had leaves showing this so when Chris said it was hvx i dug all 3 up and trew them in the trash , desinfected all my shovels in bleach and all my cutting tools and also all my garden gloves too ......i am now praying it didnt get in other hostas......

most of the hosta i ususally buy are larger size but cant get all the onse i want in a larger size, so ....... so now i'll too have to wait next year to see i guess .....up until last year i was buying my hostas from the same 3 sources , last year tried a new hosta place and when i went back this year i saw plants with hvx there and the owners wore aware of this and i am now not buying there this year , and the other new place i bought this year also is a large hosta place and is aware of hvx and carefull with that.....

very sad that things like this exsists and get worse , we that love gardening dont mind often spending alot of $ for our plants and when you finally have grown then to a size you love or start to like things like this happens and you cannot replace the time and maturity in a plant .
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

sorry Papou

Post by ViolaAnn »

Sorry to hear about your infected Hosta.

It also caught up to me just before I went on vacation on June 22 with my Gypsy Rose (purchased from a reliable Canadian mail-order source). so it drove home the need to remain vigilant.

Ann

PS Canadian Hosta Girl - where are you from? I haven't posted as much here as on DG, but I'm from Ottawa.
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

Papou,
Every time I read this, I have to laugh at the title because it sounds like YOU got her infected with the virus. (You know, like "He got her pregnant".) It's cute. :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm so sorry to see HVX on those otherwise lovely hostas! :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I had one 2 years ago but couldn't get it posted on the HVX infected list as being infected, since I was the only one showing it as being infected. I can't recall right off hand but mine came from the same wholesaler that sold the infected Gold Rush. Sorry to see you didn't get a warning about the infected plants on the market :cry: :cry:
New Topic Post Reply