HVX on Independence

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Eeeny

HVX on Independence

Post by Eeeny »

Does this look like HVX? I've had this hosta for about three years.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

The second picture looks like possible frost/freeze damage since it is confined to the end of the leaf. Also, is that one of the oldest leaves? If so I would bet that's what it is. I can't really tell what is going on with the first leaf, but again, if that is one of the oldest leaves and not a newer leaf that could be it.

The only other thing to note is that your plant is missing the speckled green margin that would make this Independence. The margin appears to be solid white without speckling, so it would more likely be Patriot or Minuteman.

If you want to email me a higher resolution image of the first picture I would be happy to take a closer look for you.

Take care,

Chris
Eeeny

Post by Eeeny »

Thank you Chris. Both of the leaves were old ones and frost damage would not be much of a stretch living as I do in zone 3. The newer leaves look fine. I was wondering as well about the lack of speckling, my guess is it was mislabeled. I tried to take a better picture but the camera seemed to think I wanted it to focus on the ground and captured it in impressive detail :)
Eeeny
New Topic Post Reply