Gold Standard at Big Box Store

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Gold Standard at Big Box Store

Post by jobranch »

Went by a different location of the same big box store today that I have purchased hosta from and they had a large collection of H. Gold Standard. I could easily see five hostas with HVX. Most were very infected and they were young plants. I brought this to the attention of an employee who immediately called their vendor. The vendor stated that all of their hostas are tested for HVX, in fact tested two different ways. The suspect Gold Standards went right back on the shelf for sale. In this case, the store did the right thing, but sadly the vendor caries more clout than I do. So, know who you are buying from and get educated on what HVX looks like because I am seeing it more than I ever have. In one week at two different locations of the same big box store, I have seen H. Gold Standard with HVX.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jeff,

Obviously you've seen the plants, showed us a picture of one on the hosta forum, and clearly they are infected with Hosta Virus X. If you want to share with me who this is I can contact them - just send me a private message and let me know which stores there were and I can contact the stores for you, and if you have addresses of the stores I can contact your state's agriculture department since all of these hostas, whether they show symptoms or not, need to be destroyed.

And if you know the name of the vendor I can try to report them too.

Just send me a PM if you won't want to post it publicly.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

I can easily get the store location to you and the vendor is not labelled on the plant, but I can find that out. I'll be in touch.

Jeff
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Cool!!!

Go get 'em, guys!!!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

One thing that I had an opportunity to discuss, was HVX with a vendor, that supplies Hosta's and other items.

When I approached asking questions regarding HVX it was put back to me. I felt as though I was supposed to know exactly what to do, when, and where. I was being questioned, while being informed of my ignorance. Go figure! And Then referred the Hallsons Nursery for quality plants and information. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry? Granted I had an amasing conversation, but as a collector, it made me aware of all the conflicting information that can be perceived from a hosta college. I guess for most people Perception is reality.

As a purchaser of these plants, I am wondering why the situation was aproached that way. Is the onus on the purchaser to report the issue with thier stock? While the supplier, vendor, what have you, (to supply a quality plant that is not infected with HVX) makes you feel like 2 cents for pointing it out. Or when a vendor or supplier, shrugs the problem off.

There are two evils here not one;
1) the vendor or grower who says they do everything to prevent it, but points out how little you know. It's a great show!
2) the vendor who tells you that they've done everything they could and puts the plant back on the shelf for the next unsepecting buyer, who really may not have a clue.

I could write a theisis right now on all the information I've gathered and read. Most of it is in agreeance with the information stated in this forum by Chris.
So if it wasn't for the "Freakin" border, I would purchase everything from him. But the common grower who doesn't care has ruined that for everyone including themselves.

At this point I've been doing everything I can to determine who I contact the next time I see an infected plant. And I'm not talking following the chain to determine the originator.
I am starting to fully understand why the Agricultural administration, is cracking down on what the let pass through. Unfortunately Vendors like Hallsons lose in these situations, and so do the purchasers wanting a quality plant.

So, there is my 2 cents worth.
Everytime I purchase a hosta, I potentially put my collection at risk. If I didn't become self taught in this problem of HVX, I could unknowingly wipe my Hostas out.

Izzy

Post by Izzy »

This posting is also in another thread.
Please don't be a part of the issue, but become an advicate for a solution.
You can also recruite my help in this if you like!
Thanks to all of you for standing up to the issue.
Izzy
New Topic Post Reply