How to get rid of an HVX infected hosta ?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

How to get rid of an HVX infected hosta ?

Post by thy »

I know we have been talking about it before, but...

If you find an old HVX infected hosta in the middle of a mass planting of hostas, how to get rid of it ?

If you try to did it up, you will cut the roots of it and the other hostas and there fore help HVX to spread to the other hostas

So can you kill it with RoundUp ?
Carefully brush Round Up on the leaves and then wait for a month or maybe more for the roots to dye before you dig it ?

Or What to do :-?

I do not like RoundUP, but use it if i find a dandelion in the center of a hosta or a voluntere bird drop tree in the middle of my bush roses ... and for those matters it is exelent and yu only use a few drops of it

Pia argueing with herself about using Round Up at all :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Hi there!
Great Question ~ What do you do with an infected plant that is already in the ground?

If you dig it out, you leave roots behind that will sap and contaminate the soil. Leaving the possiblity of other Hostas picking up the disease. At least we're on the same page, regarding the contamination.

According to the latest information, inceneration is the only way to really get rid of the disease. Okay, so we've dealt with the plant, now what do we do about the hole and the left over roots. At this point, the "True" way (trust me; I'm tongue and cheeking that comment) to get rid of the disease if it's in the ground in a mass planting almost seems unrealistic. If it's contained to a pot, Sure!

I'm not sure if the round up would work, but I would also like to know if it does. The other thing is, while waiting a month for the plant to completely die, are we leaving in the ground an opportunity for spreading the disease?

I'm almost starting not to want to add any more additions to the ground, until they've been quarentined, and show no signs of HVX. That's pretty bad, when you have to wait 3-4 years, and still not be 100% sure! What I would like to do is start an updated list of the plants that have been carrying the disease so that they are not purchased.

Someone somewhere must know how to kill it, realistically.

This year I am under tremendous pressure and stress, knowing that I have to move in excess of 300 hosta' plants.
We have to replace the fence, and repair a 12 foot fountain.
Am I worried? You betcyha!
Some of the Hosta's that I have are on the diseased list. They were purchased before I understood about the HVX.
Last year they didn't show signs, that doesn't mean they won't this year.

So if someone out there has the answers, we need to know.
Thank you
Izzy
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

In another Tread it was suggested to use a spade fork, to put it out, instead of cutting it with a shovel. It also suggested staying as close to the crown as possible.
It doesn't eliminate the possibility of spread, just reduces the risks.
It's under the "cleaning/disinfecting tools" Thread posted by Chris.
Izzy
thy

Post by thy »

Izzy, it only :roll: spread sapp to sapp sortof the way AIDS is spreading.. and thats the reason for cutting it of as close to the crown as you can.
HVX shows in one to five or so years.. Bichwood Parky Gold to mention a fast one and the all time slow ones like tokudamas and sieboldies to mention some slow ones... slow in every way :wink:

Sum and Substance have been told to be slow.... here I have seen 2. year SS with clear HVX... but maybe people do not think it can get it if not on the list.

Every hosta can get HVX :evil: sad but true

Back to the issue... i was asked how to dig it up in a mass planting... and felt unsecure... A spade fork may help in sandy soil...sure do no differnce in my clay :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Like Izzy mentioned, I recommend getting close to the crown with a spading fork and pry it out, instead of digging it up. And if spreading is a concern, like in a nursery bed, I would then completely clean the spading fork to remove dirt and sap, then disinfect with lysol or bleach or disinfecting wipes, and then dig every hosta that it might have had roots touching. Then keep a close eye on any plants next to those.

It is better to be strict and cautious the first time you start digging and not take any chances of leaving any plants behind that might have come in contact with the infected ones.

Roundup might kill the plant, but it also might not. Something like granular weed killer poured on top of the crown might do a better job, but I'm not sure.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Am I going goofy or didn't someone mention zapping the virused plant to ashes with a propane torch? Dry up all the sap, no HVX?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I think that was suggested for nematodes. Virus would survive in the roots still, and although nematodes would also survive in the crown and the soil the cooking might help a little :lol:
thy

Post by thy »

NO

I'll can never tell people to dig it up. -clean the tool and them dig up the compagnion 5 or more hostas surrounding it ....the same day

Please...
Good new ways :D
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Drastic times are calling for drastic measures.

Mary ann; It was suggested to me that completely torching the plant would get rid of the virus in the plant it's self. However I find this tactic to be unsettling for trying to get rid of it throughout the soil bed it came from. Koterizing roots don't seem realistic to me. :eek:

Is there anyone close to a wipe out for this virus? :evil:
Izzy
New Topic Post Reply