Virus X---Canna or tricyrtis

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

mcplant

Post by mcplant »

Today as I was crawling around checking out my Hosta/huechera bed I didn't find anything. However, all that seriousness made me think about some Tricytis that I have had in pots for a year now (This is my first year for Hostas, Huecheras and Tricyrtis). They haven't flowered but the medium green foliage has dark spots just like I picture the flowers to be spotted. Could this be virus. Later in the day I noticed blotches on my Striped Beauty Cannas that look like th pictures of virus x posted here. Is this possible? :cry:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

HVX is specific to hostas, but other viruses can infect other plants.

The spotting on the toad lily leaves is normal. Blotching on the canna leaves could be a problem, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure.

Hope that helps.

Chris
mcplant

Post by mcplant »

Thanks Chris,
It does help, This is my first year of growing "shade Plants" and actually only my 4th year of gardening. I've been combing the pages of your forums and hoping a little bit of it sticks.
I think I need to learn how to post pictures. Most of my stuff is probably pretty common material but it looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks again,
Dennis
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

chris...Is this the normal spotting you were referring to on tricyrtis leaves? Thanks.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Do you have aphids on the leaves? I see white specks toward the bottom right. Looks like the aphids covering my salvia.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I didn't notice it before you mentioned it, even in the picture. But maybe it's from the oak tree flowers...hopefully! Otherwise if it is aphids, I'll spray them off with the hose. Thanks for the help.

Still wondering about the spots.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Those spots are normal. And I also think that is just pollen from the trees ;)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

And I also think that is just pollen from the trees
Or thrips, which is what I'm seeing in a number of areas in my yard. I'll check and see if I can find a picture of a plant that shows them and post it later tonight.... when you first see them you wonder where that white looking 'stuff' comes from, only to realize when you look real close that they're BUGS and real good at sucking sap.....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

Chris_W wrote:Hi,

Those spots are normal. And I also think that is just pollen from the trees ;)
Thanks Chris...just what I wanted to hear. Running out right now to check on the white flecks.................................
Okay, I'm back...after putting on another pot of coffee and watering my containers and making a chart of my hosta garden(filled with hallson's hostas---perfect, all of them.)

The white spots were from the oak flowers, no aphids! So all is well again. Thanks for everyone's help.
New Topic Post Reply