They're all looking suspect now...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

plantmover

They're all looking suspect now...

Post by plantmover »

Would y'all mind confirming a couple more please...

Assuming I've ID'd correctly, this is a 'Frances Williams' that I got starts of last fall from my mom's huge established plant. I had attributed the discoloration to sun scald as we had several hot sunny days before the trees leafed out, but now I don't know.

The 'Francee' I've had for approx 4 years and it has always had smooth leaves until this year; now they're corrugating, which may be normal...I dunno. Side note: the margins on the two divisions I made last fall are pale green instead of white.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Attachments
'Francee'
'Francee'
'Frances Williams'
'Frances Williams'
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Frances Williams does look like cold damage to me - not HVK.

The other one - can you post a whole plant photo? It doesn;t look like Francee to me - my Francee is much darker green. In any case, that one doesn;t look like HVX to me either.

A
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
sugar

Post by sugar »

Does look as hosta's with some sunburn to me , no HVX
plantmover

another pic

Post by plantmover »

I failed to mention that I took the other 'Francee' leaf photo while holding it up to sunlight, hence the much lighter color. Sorry 'bout that. So here's the whole plant, or most of it.
Attachments
'Francee'
'Francee'
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Your Frances Williams is fine. That is called spring dessication burn - some say it is from cold (not frost, but cold) and others say it is from excessive moisture. I think it is a combination of cold and wet, since the past two seasons we've had a very dry spring, yet cold, and no dessication burning.

The Francee looks very suspicious to me. I see some wavy markings following all the veins in the 1st picture. I would be wary of that one.
plantmover

Post by plantmover »

Thanks to all for the helpful feedback.

Those wavy marks are what I was hoping to capture by holding it to the sunlight. They're gradually becoming more noticeable on the plant. Many thanks, Chris!
New Topic Post Reply