diagnosis for honeybells, please

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

kitgary
USDA Zone: 4b

diagnosis for honeybells, please

Post by kitgary »

Here is a leaf from Honeybells. This pic makes the leaf look brownish, it is healthy colored, except for the mottling. So Sweet, next to it in the garden, looks the same. They are in 1/2 day sun. Is this HVX? :cry: :cry: :cry:
If so, what is the best thing to do about the hostas surrounding these two?
Attachments
HPIM1389.JPG
HPIM1390.jpg
HPIM1390.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

HVX symptoms do look translucent on Honeybells and can look that way on So Sweet too.

The best thing is to remove both of the plants and throw them in the trash. Do you think the roots of nearby hostas are growing within the roots of these two plants? If so they are at risk of getting infected when you dig - but keeping these close by the others is also a risk. If it was in my garden I would likely dig those two hostas and every hosta that might already be touching them. But if you don't want to go that far I would recommend prying this one out of the ground by getting as close to the crown as possible so that you try and avoid damaging the roots of nearby plants. Then just don't do any digging in that area for a long time to allow the roots to these to die.

Sorry to see it :(

Chris
New Topic Post Reply