confirmed diseased in a local church garden

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

confirmed diseased in a local church garden

Post by ViolaAnn »

Found this hosta in the garden at St. Andrew's Presbyterian in Ottawa, ON. They had previously had an infected hosta in this garden, which they eventually removed. So while I was waiting in line for a concert, I took a look and found another. I took one leaf home to test since I've never actually tested a positive hosta before. And test positive it did. I've notified the church. What will happen I'm not sure. I'm not going to waste my limited test strips on more plants there, but I'd be willing to bet that others are infected and not showing signs because I told them about the other infected plant for 2 years. Don't know the variety - not one I have but it's a medium-large mound of light-green foliage.
IMG_6997sx.jpg
IMG_7000sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: confirmed diseased in a local church garden

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing the picture. Looks like Sum and Substance possibly? Yes, I wouldn't waste any more test strips on anything there either. Next time just post a picture, I think we are pretty good at diagnosing the obvious ones.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: confirmed diseased in a local church garden

Post by ViolaAnn »

I just wanted to test a known positive to ensure I was doing it right. Have never had a positive test on my own, though I've had 3 plants over the years that were infected. I just didn't have strips at the time.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply