HVX transfered in pollen

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

jonbry123
USDA Zone: 6b

HVX transfered in pollen

Post by jonbry123 »

Does anyone know if HVX could possibly be transferred via pollen since many of us cross pollinate our plants? I haven't seen any information posted about this in any other forum and wondered if anyone has looked into this since an infected plant I would think has the virus in all it's tissues.
Jon
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HVX transfered in pollen

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jon,

Pollen transfer is only possible with some types of virus, and the potex virus family doesn't transfer that way, so for now it is believed that HVX, as a potex virus, would behave the same way. I don't know of any specific studies that prove otherwise, but it is considered highly unlikely for HVX to transfer in pollen.

The main virus that infects hostas these days which does transfer in pollen is Arabis Mosaic Virus, so that alone makes it important to use clean stock when hybridizing.

I'll move this over to the HVX forum.
jonbry123
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by jonbry123 »

Thanks Chris. I don't believe I have any that are infected but with new additions one cannot be sure unless each one is tested and just wondered about transfer of the virus via pollen as I've done some cross pollinating along with all the bees. That's good to know given how quickly the disease is moving within the wholesale trade in Europe from what I'm reading and the box stores selling large quantities of infected plants and caring nothing about it.
Jon
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

There is a Korean study that indicates HVX transmission via seed is quite possible.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply