Is this just frost damage?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Is this just frost damage?

Post by redcrx »

I hope. Ran into this while cleaning the beds. It seems to be the only one with damage.

It's rectifolia 'Aomori Gold Star' and it's been there since 2010.
Attachments
DSC04200.JPG
DSC04201.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Is this just frost damage?

Post by Chris_W »

It doesn't look like frost damage. :(

I assume it is on more than one leaf and the new leaves will probably look like this too. I have lots of test kits so if you want to put a leaf into a dry leaf into a double ziploc bag, just the leaf and nothing else, then mail it to me I can test it for you, though I am pretty certain it is HVX.

Since you have had it in the garden in the past then it would seem to have spread. Make sure you have tubs of disinfecting wipes and use them every time you prune, trim, or cut back hosta parts. Also wash your shovels and hands after planting or moving things.

It may be possible that the squirrels or chipmunks are spreading it around, but it can also be spread on your hands as you tend things. That happened to us when we were getting HVX infected plants from wholesalers 10 or so years ago - it seemed to be a rate of only 1 to 2%, but when you have hundreds or like us thousands of plants it matters.

You can mail a leaf to:

Hallson Gardens
14280 S Meridian Rd
Cement City, MI 49233

Just use first class mail, and remember to only put a dry leaf in a ziploc bag, then another ziploc bag. Don't put paper towels or anything else with the leaf, and do NOT add any water. A dry leaf survives the trip fine but add anything else and it gets ruined.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Is this just frost damage?

Post by redcrx »

This was HVX. I got some test kits and tested a few around it and they were fine for now.

Dug out a block of dirt around it. The block came out in three sections so I was able to see the virused piece. It looked like an independent piece with very few roots. I poured bleach in the spot - filled it with gravel - put a couple of blocks over it.

This is a really bad problem since this wasn't just a "new" plant in it's own space. This type of plant is stoloniferous and the plant is mixed in with others. Luckily its root system looked intact when it came out.

Like you said Chris I'm guessing the problem is from chipmunks. I have them all over and I think the voles follow them. I haven't seen the virus here for a few years but it could be in neighboring yards and carried by the critters.
virus 16 00136.JPG
virus 16 00135.JPG
virus 16 00137.JPG
virus 16 00138.JPG
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply