Hosta virus?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

sophannah
USDA Zone: uk fife

Hosta virus?

Post by sophannah »

Hi

Very new to the forum, only registered few minutes ago. I'm hoping someone can help me with a few queries with regards to my hosta.
1. Wondering if someone could I.D it for me?
2. Does it have something wrong with it?
Attachments
20160607_154245.jpg
20160607_154217.jpg
20160607_154230.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta virus?

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums.

The variety is Hosta 'Frances Williams' and no, that isn't virus you are seeing. That is called spring desiccation burn where cold temperatures, typically below 40 degrees, damages yellow tissue in Frances Williams and other yellow or yellow variegated Hosta sieboldiana types.

So no, you don't need to worry about virus. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about the browning on this one, though. Some years will be better than others depending on the weather.

Hope that helps :D

Chris
sophannah
USDA Zone: uk fife

Post by sophannah »

Chris, I really really appreciate your reply. Thank you so very much for your help. I was ready for digging it up.. :( I'm wondering, only if you have time to identify more types that I have in the garden. There is a local park, the very nice man gave me bags n bags of them
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sure, we can try and help to identify some hostas for you. Post them in the hosta forum and myself and a couple others will chime in with some opinions. Glad to help :D
New Topic Post Reply