HVX on Sum and Substance - ink bleed on a single leaf?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Leahdan
USDA Zone: 4

HVX on Sum and Substance - ink bleed on a single leaf?

Post by Leahdan »

I've had this beast in my garden since 2010 and today noticed a single leaf with what looks like ink bleed. The rest of the plant is healthy and voracious but had some color variations due to increased sun exposure after we removed a lathe Ash tree. I'm hoping this is just remnants from a child spring but the leaves are thick and there is no indication on the backside of the leaf that it's frost damage. There is no bleed on any other leaf on the entire plant that I can see. What do you think? Is one of the few box store hostas that I have so I'm always a little nervous with it.
Attachments
20170713_154604.jpg
20170713_161624.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HVX on Sum and Substance - ink bleed on a single leaf?

Post by Chris_W »

I wouldn't worry about this spot. This isn't the traditional "ink bleed" and it isn't directly on the vein. There are some dots at the center of it that could indicate some kind of physical damage though I'm not sure what would actually cause it to darken. Still, unless you see more spots come up or you see something actually directly on the vein then I wouldn't worry about it.
New Topic Post Reply