What sort's this?

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
Herb

What sort's this?

Post by Herb »

I can't say that I like the flowers on this one (I guess it's because they're so green & (to my eyes) don't look like flowers, but I think the leaves are quite attractive.

It began flowering a week or two ago, but I've no idea what variety it is.

Herb
Attachments
Helleborex900.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow...Lucky you! I have no idea.... :roll: .. :lol:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Okay Herb, box it up and send it my way!! Is that one plant or more? What color are you looking for if you don't like the green ones?? I planted several flats last fall, I sure hope to get some new ones and that my hybridizing from a year ago finally bloom!! I just think these are awsome!! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Herb

Post by Herb »

KHT -

It's a single plant. If I had my way, I'd happily swap it for a different one, but aside from it being so big, my wife wouldn't hear of it.

We have one that I do like, growing about 10 feet away but it's quite small. & I've no idea whether it will ever grow as big as this one. It isn't flowering now, but if you scroll down to "Ours in March" you'll see a picture of it, that I took last April. I think its flowers are a lot more attractive.

Herb
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks Herb, I'll check it out. We planted special seed we obtained from across the pond that a dear friend shared. He has some awsome deeper shades and we hope in a couple years to see them bloom. We play with ours and love the many seedpods we get, ya want me to save some for you?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Herb

Seeds

Post by Herb »

KHT -

Thanks - that's very kind of you. But I think we'd have trouble finding anywhere to put them. Our garden's got to the point where there's seldom room for anything more. We find that several times a year, we have to remove things, or cut them back, or divide them!

H.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Herb, the offer is there if you should change your mind as we have more seeds than we want to plant as our collection grows.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
insam

Post by insam »

Hi Herb,

Just an FYI note: your plant is Helleborus x sternii, which is a hybrid of H. argutifolius and H. lividus. Yours is a nice one. In addition, your 'Ours in March' is indeed H. niger, which is receptive of H x sternii pollen, and if your keen it's worth a shot as the three way cross produces some of the most beautiful of all hellebores (larger, brighter flowers from niger but still with attractive leaves).

Joseph
Herb

Post by Herb »

Joseph - Thanks - thats a really exciting tip! If our Helleborus x sternii is still flowering when the Niger flowers we're going to give it a try.

Herb
New Topic Post Reply