Hellebore Seedlings

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
Maggidew

Hellebore Seedlings

Post by Maggidew »

Our friend Joan has many different Hellebores in her garden and last year she gave us these seedlings. There are 66 of them in 5" square pots. Pic #1

I have chosen 12 to keep and plant (flat in lower left corner of Pic #1), I am curious to see what sort of blooms they will have, being natural crosses(?) Pic #2

There are at least a hundred more seedlings this year, we watched them sprout up last year and they are quite good sized now. We are planning to carefully dig and pot them in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime I have 54 seedlings to find homes for, one way or another. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Pic #2 Keeper flat (12)
Pic #2 Keeper flat (12)
Pic #1 all seedlings
Pic #1 all seedlings
Maggi
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Those are looking great!

Can you just tuck them into the ground somewhere, even if they are planted really close together? Personally I always try to get them planted in the fall because they grow a lot of roots when it is cool, but I imagine you are in a much warmer climate and might be able to plant them now so they get settled in before it gets too hot.

The only real suggestion I can give you is to watch out when people are weeding. We lost all of our hellebore seedlings to a weeder who didn't recognize them as plants and thought we just had a bunch of weeds :(

I hope you get some neat blooms out of them one day. They really do look nice and healthy :)
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

Well, they definitely surpassed all expectations here. OK, I will try planting them out and see what happens with them.

But then, when we start potting up the new 'crop' of seedlings this year, what am I supposed to do with them? - LOL!
Maggi
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I have about 20 seedlings that are in gallon pots from last spring, from my Heronswood doubles and anemones, and some of them are starting to bloom. They're wonderful!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Those look nice! We have a lot of little sprouts from fresh seeds we got last year. I also have some seedlings from a prior year in rootrainers and I can't move them, the roots went into the soil. I guess I better pot them up? The moms are in full bloom!! My new one last year is finally open, love those deep purple ones!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Boy those look great Maggi!
New Topic Post Reply