A Few Hellebore Pictures

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
MikeyBob

A Few Hellebore Pictures

Post by MikeyBob »

Here are a few of my favorites. The dark one is from Pine Knot Farms. The veined one is an Ashwood picotee. And the bright one at the bottom is from Phedar.

baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Wow!! I really love those bottom two. Beautiful!!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

The top one may be deceiving because it looks like this is the aged flower already setting seed pods. I bet it was beautiful at the height of its bloom.

We have a ton of great hellebores this year, and because of the long winter they will probably be blooming when we open next month, a first in several years :D

Thanks for sharing these!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Nice ones!! I agree with Chris on the top one, ya got anymore shots of that one? I have tons of baby seedlings from seeds last year, can't wait to see what they will turn out to be. Yes, thank you for sharing!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
MikeyBob

Post by MikeyBob »

That first one is my favorite. It's funny, but the flower color keeps changing ... I remember looking at this one early in the season and noticing how part of the flower was black as coal ... a few weeks ago the flowers were sort of a brownish red, very rich and deep ... a week or two ago the flowers were deep red and I kept noticing how it looked like a clematis flower ... and now this week the flowers are more purple. I am thinking that it must be the warm weather that makes the color change. I've never been able to get a good picture of this one at its best, the pictures just don't look like the real thing, but here's an earlier picture, and another one I took today:

kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh so pretty!! Some day I'm in hopes to have one that color! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
MikeyBob

Post by MikeyBob »

I should have more seeds from that plant than I can use if you want to trade a few. I even bought some little gauze drawstring bags to tie around the flowers and catch the seeds. Or I suppose I could trade pollen.

I see that y'all had a hellebore seed trade here last year, how did that work out? Were they mixed and open pollinated seeds, or were they known crosses?
kHT

Post by kHT »

MikeyBob, what a generous offer! I got seeds last year from a friend across the pond and I'm in hopes that there are a few black ones in the seedlings that are now poking upward! I also got seeds from another friend back east so I'm keeping my toes crossed for more pretties.

I didn't get in on the trade due to the special orders I had made prior to this coming up. I hope someone else can fill you in on this?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
insam

Re: A Few Hellebore Pictures

Post by insam »

MB, that dark is excellent, but the one from Phedar is very special. There are comparatively few plants like that in the trade. Is the foliage on that one typical of Helleborus x hybridus or is it more heavily divided?
MikeyBob

Post by MikeyBob »

That one has pretty typical foliage ... so far it seems like any plants I have with more heavily divided foliage have small and plain flowers. Maybe someday I'll take some foliage pictures and post them here.
MikeyBob

Post by MikeyBob »

Regarding the first picture posted here, while most flowers had faded to green, that flower still had color, extending the season a bit. And I found the intense color of the seed pods to be attractive. But check out the seed pods on this hellebore: http://www.mytho-fleurs.com/images/Dela ... G_1108.JPG
New Topic Post Reply