Blooms!

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Blooms!

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

The hellebores are going strong here. This one is in full bloom, a few others have started and a few more are just about to. Love this dark purple!

There's a few more early blooms of various things on my garden blog: http://1bigtree.blogspot.com/
Attachments
hellebore1.jpg
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Blooms!

Post by Tigger »

Wow! So early and so lovely. Is this earlier than usual? Our witch hazels still aren't yet blooming, and our hellebores are just nubs sticking out of the ground.
Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Yep, it's an El Nino year so we are having an early spring. Lots of temps in the upper fifties lately, warm and rainy predicted for the remainder of the winter, and everything is growing like crazy. Including the weeds. I was out earlier enjoying some sun while trying to clean up some beds. Shot weed has taken over everything and I have to get it up before it starts blooming or it'll be even worse next year. The irises are growing like crazy and the reticulatas are already starting. Daff foliage is coming up everywhere too. :D
~ Mike

Seuss
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

wow, lucky you!!!

I checked your blog and the cyclamen are gorgeous, and Wort the Owl is awesome! What kind is he?
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hey Mike! Better get out there tomorrow 'cause the shot weed heard what you said and will seed right away just to make you mad! At least that's what it seems to do here. And it isn't consistant with how big the plant gets before blooming. Some of them are just tiny, itty bitty and others are normal size. I hate those weeds worse than any others. Well, sheep sorrel is a close second because it shoots it's seeds, too.

I need to cut the old leaves off my hellies. One I got at the garden show last year sent up buds and then went black at the base of the stems and died. I probably should have taken it out of the pot and let it dry, but I just sprayed it with fungicide. Too late. Are you going to the garden show? Me and Andi are meeting up on Sunday. She doesnt' know it yet! Yes she does!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Garden_of_Mu

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Nah, no garden show for me this year. Maybe next time. Hope you have fun!

PM50 - Wort is a Northern Pygmy Owl - I didn't know owls came so small! Haven't seen him (her?) since but hear them once in awhile. I love having owls about, and all the other birds too. Wish they'd catch some of these moles tho. The cats are slacking... :lol:
~ Mike

Seuss
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Mine are (were?) up on the south side of the house and had buda... they are now under 18 inches of snow - so who knows. Maybe I wll see blooms, maybe not.

Beautiful photo - thanks for sharing.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow!! Already? Lucky You!!

Beautiful! If I didn't kill mine in the pot that I bought last fall.....I will for the first time have a hellebore!

Thanks for sharing!
New Topic Post Reply