Hellebores blooming NOW?

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Hellebores blooming NOW?

Post by caliloo »

With our very strange non-winter here, my hellebores are very confused. Since it has been in the 50's, I decided to take a garden walk to see if anything was happening and was stunned to see buds ready to open on some of my hellebores. I KNOW we are still going to have a couple of months of winter, should I be concerned that they are blooming now? I hate to have to dig them up and pot them to move into the unheated sun room, but I don't want them to freeze in Feb either.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Hellebores blooming NOW?

Post by kHT »

I have to agree, the weather has been so strange!! I have one that blooms year around?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

You certainly don't have to worry about digging them up - definitely don't even consider that as it would be harder on them than the weather outside. If the buds don't open they will hold on for a long time and open later, even through more freezing weather, but the flower display won't be as good as it could have been if it had stayed cold. You might actually see some rebloom later in the spring, though.

But don't worry about the plants themselves. They will be just fine.

We have some forsythia that are budding now and I haven't been out to see but I bet some of our hellebores might be budding as well. The ground isn't even frozen which is just crazy...
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thansk Chris and KHT!

They certainly dont bloom year around here, there is still some bitter cold to come, I'm sure. But, I will leave them and hope for the best - there are a TON of buds!

Happy New Year to all!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

February Daphne (D. mezereum 'Alba' has been blooming here for nearly two months! Normally it blooms in April before forsythias and reblooms lightly in the fall. Curiously it is only the white-flowered form that does this; haven't seen fall blooms on the pink (basic) ones.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply