First hellebores from KHT

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

First hellebores from KHT

Post by Bob Scott »

Looking great but wondering if they should be sending up new foliage. I'm guessing they need a year in the ground to get established?
I have most in my shade garden but a few in different spots just because. :D :wink:
Spring time is always like Christmas waiting for new plants to come up..............is it spring yet? :lol:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: First hellebores from KHT

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Bob,

Hellebores go summer dormant and then start to grow again in the fall then bloom in late winter/early spring. During this time they will just sit there and no, they won't send up new leaves now. Don't worry about giving it any extra water or fertilizer - they don't really need it now and can't really use it either - and in the fall it should start to grow again :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Bob, they are happy if they are sending up new growth this time of year. We don't do much with ours, just spraying for critters that might find them.
Chris, hate to say this but some of ours will send up new growth especially this time of year our here if we turn cooler at night.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, they will only send up new growth when it is cooler, but that's where you are at :lol:
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Cool nights!? What are those like. :D :wink:
They haven't actually gone dormant because they are all pretty much the size when KHT sent them. Just never had them before so I'm a happy camper knowing I'm at least not messing them up. :lol:
Where most are at they did get a lot of water the past few weeks. Of the 10 straight days with + 100, 8 of those days broke records. Been in the 90s since Sunday and it feels like springtime. :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Bob, I'm just as shocked as you are. A few of ours with the past weeks heat are also starting to show some new leaves. I'm using
tap water now that the rain barrels are empty. I'm wondering if it has to do with the cool tap water? I usually do my spring clean up
now, anything that yellows is cut back and some of these are the first to go. But this year they still look great, but the one in full sun
that got a lot of hail damage are yellowing. I did allow the front hosta to finish their blooming before they all got cut back, they were
totally shredded and with the heat yellowing.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

None of mine are in full sun. maybe 4 hours and most.. The tap water has even been too warm for drinking without ice. I drink a ton of water when in the yard but the hose isn't cutting it for now. :lol:
New Topic Post Reply