Moving Hellebores in October

A forum to discuss and share pictures of Helleborus plants.
New Topic Post Reply
Arlene

Moving Hellebores in October

Post by Arlene »

I'd like to move several hellebores to a new location. I'm in z6, about 20 miles south of Nashville. I assume by the fact that growers are still shipping hellebores, it would be okay to move them now, mid-October. What's your opinion?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Moving Hellebores in October

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, it is no problem to move Hellebores this time of year. Just replant at the same depth and water really good after digging it.

We only ship in the fall as they are putting out the most new root growth right now. They might lose some of their foliage over the first winter but new growth typically replaces the previous year's leaves anyway.

I'm not only moving but also dividing Hellebores now and have never had a problem doing that in October :)

Good luck digging them out. If you've had it in the same spot for a while the roots can become really big!
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Thank you, Chris!! Will give it a try!

Arlene
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

How did it go? We just moved ours to a new house and holy cow I dug and dug and couldn't get the oldest to budge! My husband took about 10 minutes to get it out after I loosened it! Wow those are some crazy roots!! The two newer ones moved better!
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
New Topic Post Reply