Heuchera "Amber Waves" question

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Heuchera "Amber Waves" question

Post by BillyB »

Picked up Amber Waves today at the local Co-op along with hosta "Big Daddy" (6 eyes!). But when I got home I realized that the leaves on my Heuchera are not as ruffled as I have seen in pics of others posted here. Is this something common with young plants and as it ages, will the leaves "ruffle up"?
Thanks in advance.
Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Billy,

Yes, amber waves might not show ruffling if it is a yearling. After a growing season it should show up. A lot of heuchera are like that. They don't look much like the pictures that first year...

By the way, Amber Waves needs some sun to live. It will sit there or disappear in the shade, so be sure to put it out in some sun.

Great find on Big Daddy by the way!
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Chris, it should get a couple of hours of midday sun but no hot afternoon sun.
Billy

Most of the other BD that were there had 2-3 eyes. It was just kinda lost in the back with several others. Thats one of the things I like about nurseries. You never know what your going to find on any given day.
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love my Amber Waves....I have it in total sun on the southside of my house....I have a couple more in the back, too.....Here is my one in the front two days ago.
Attachments
s 179.jpg
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Lucy, yours looks great! I hope mine looks that good when it grows up. :D
BillyB
My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Your's will.....keep it well watered, or that's what I did in the real hot weather....

Good Luck!! :D
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Try 'Marmalade' if you get a chance, I like the coloring on it much better than Amber Waves. 'Lime Ricky' is pretty fun too!

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Marmalade is next on the list. hard to find locally. A local nursery had some Lime Rickey, but didn't look too healthy. Green Spice is another one I'm on the look out for.
BillyB
My Hosta List
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Lime Ricky is great! I have it in dappled shade, and it has grown well for me. It has fantastic color, especially this time of the year. I killed Amber Waves last year in record time by planting it in moist shade like some of my older Heuchera (remember the super wet spring last year). :???:

I bought a gallon Marmalade this spring (big plant) and placed it in some better draining soil with full morning sun. It looks great so far, and is growing well. I even got suckered into buying Plum Pudding last night, so I am quickly becoming a Heuchera guy (and I haven't even started on the silvers and blacks yet!).
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
John

Post by John »

I am very sad to say that my 'Marmalade' bit the dust... That one had some awesome color, and was a fine companion to 'Amber Waves'.

Had bought that one locally, and they had 'Lime Rickey', but the coloring did not look so great.

BillyB, that 'Green Spice' is a real favorite, the spring coloring right now is incredible. btw, I do not have Spacecoast, but do grow daylily 'Ida's Magic', which has some bizarre coloring and edges.

One comment on Heuchera, besides a quick thank you to Andi for a new obsession: I thought of them originally as shady garden companions to hostas, and really, they are all doing far better for me in sun, particularly the purples. (Oh Andi, I need to photograph Epi. rubrum, what a gorgeous plant, thank you!).
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Ditto what John said... the heucheras actually do much better with a good dose of sun rather than too much shade. I love them all, but have only added Lime Ricky this year.

Green Spice is another with fantastic spring and fall coloring. It really changes colors through the year and seems to grow really well for me.

My new lust plants for 2005 are epimediums and arisaemas... I have no idea where I'm going to put them... but I must have more, more, more!!!
Attachments
Heuchera Green Spice 042003.jpg
Heuchera Marmalade 061204.jpg
Andi
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Love the pictures!! :D

Here is my Lime Rickey just a couple days ago....I am going to get more of this if I see it, which I should around here....I have it it total sun.....

I best get ready for work, or I will be late! :o :lol:
Attachments
s 180.jpg
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Andi, your Green Spice is outstanding!!
BillyB
My Hosta List
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

People blame Andi for their heuchera obsession and I blame myself for creating hers! :lol:
Hey, Andi, remember the day we walked around the yard and you took cuttings off of my entire heuchera collection? What fun that was!!
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Of course I remember that day, I felt like I was coming home from a treasure hunt! And they're all full sized plants now, doing great!

Yep... all Kellie's fault !

Andi
Andi
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

What gorgeous pictures. I am sad and jealous. I have had 3 Amber Waves die on me. I guess they need sun and I had them with the hostas.

I give up. :evil:
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

BillyB wrote:Marmalade is next on the list. hard to find locally. A local nursery had some Lime Rickey, but didn't look too healthy. Green Spice is another one I'm on the look out for.
Went back out there today. Had a new shipment in and found a very nice "Lime Rickey". WOOHOO!!
BillyB
My Hosta List
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Picked up Amethyst Mist today. :D
BillyB
My Hosta List
impatience

Post by impatience »

Here is a pic of my Amethyst Mist taken yesterday.
Attachments
Amethyst Mist and Golden Sceptre 5-3-05
Amethyst Mist and Golden Sceptre 5-3-05
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
BillyB

Post by BillyB »

Imp, yours looks wonderful! How long has it been there?
BillyB
My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply