Heuchera "Amber Waves" question

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

This is my amethyst myst a couple of years ago, I haven't taken a photo of her this year because she's in a state of recovery after the bay window was replaced, I think she'll be fine, but may have to move her into more sun for awhile.
Attachments
Her first year, 4 years ago
Her first year, 4 years ago
a_myst.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
2 years ago
2 years ago
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
Bluecanoe

Post by Bluecanoe »

Another favorite, Can Can I really like this one too. I've been going through my old photos stored on Cd and am amazed at the changes I'm seeing from year to year..Whoa!! Not just Heucheras, I hadn't realized so many had gotten so big, some look smaller, need to move 'em, and others that looked great, but I've lost over the past few winters..those are really sad.. :cry:
Attachments
Can Can
Can Can
Lynda (The Roving Siamese cat toy)
akita

Post by akita »

Seems I've recently caught the heuchera addiction, too. I brought home Marmalade earlier this summer and just love it. It seems to be thriving in almost full sun (the north side of a 6" raised iris bed, which really isn't much protection/shade). Last week I went back and bought a second Marmalade, but also brought home Snow Angel. SA is also in full sun, but the leaf edges seem to be scorching, so I may have to rethink its location. I realize this is the Shade & Woodland Plants forum, but would love recommendations for the more sun tolerant heuchera. Marmalade looks awesome next to the sedum 'Bertram Anderson' (currently blooming). I've got some sun tolerant hostas and the sedums 'Angelina' and 'Blue Spruce' also in the mix. With iris leaves as a backdrop, I really like the contrast in foliage. Besides, irises can be pretty bland unless they're in bloom. Anyone growing 'Raspberry Ice' or 'Jade Gloss'?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

HI Akita,

Most of the purple heuchera do good in sun, and other than the green ones they really need some sun to thrive. Jade Gloss is very cute - a smaller one with unique cupped leaves. I haven't grown Raspberry Ice yet. Marmalade has grown really well this season for us too. I think it is an improvement over Amber Waves even. Lime Rickey tried in 3 different spots have all died where other heuchera have thrived. I started with 72 of them and lost them all. I won't be trying them again!
akita

Post by akita »

Ouch! I think I'll stay away from Lime Rickey. How disappointing that you couldn't get any of them to live! I guess I'll start exploring more of the purple heucheras if they're more sun tolerant. Thanks!
janet

Post by janet »

I've had great success with Lime Rickey. The one I got this spring is still the gorgeous, full, lush apple green today that it was in May, only bigger. Not a spot on it anywhere. It gets a couple hours of early morning sun and then dappled shade for the rest of the day. It just glows!

Firefly is a good green, though darker than Lime Rickey, and has bright red flowers. It blooms later than most of my heuchs and is a real eye catcher. The leaves have a hint of silver veins in the shade, but are more solid green in the sun (I have several in different places). Try it as a break from all the purples.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
impatience

Post by impatience »

I just realized I didn't answer the question of how old my 'Amethyst Mist' is from May 4. :oops:

It was 2 tiny little leaves from a broken piece where a tree had fallen on the mother plant. I babied it and now 2 years later it is a giant. It looks bigger and better than mom!
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I just have to say a word on my Lime Ricky....It did fantastic last year, but we got a lot of rain last year in the spring.....this year, he started out good, but then he was in full sun.....we had that horrid heat, and I tried to keep it watered well....but I ended up moving him when Pat & Karen was here....He is much happier now in more shade....I will take a picture tomorrow.....I intended on getting more, but stayed pretty much out of the good nursery's that would of had them this spring...:lol: What the heck, if you come across it...give it a try.....It sure lights up the area!

Good Luck!! :D
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay, here is my Lime Ricky....It needed dug up and moved anyway....You know how they grow up, and you need to bury it more? Well, on top of being too hot of a summer for it to be in total sun and that, I moved it to the east side....It's doing better.....
Attachments
s 131.jpg
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Re: Heuchera "Amber Waves" question

Post by BillyB »

BillyB wrote:Picked up Amber Waves today at the local Co-op along with hosta "Big Daddy" (6 eyes!). But when I got home I realized that the leaves on my Heuchera are not as ruffled as I have seen in pics of others posted here. Is this something common with young plants and as it ages, will the leaves "ruffle up"?
Thanks in advance.
Billy
Got a look at "Amber Waves" today, And now that it has got over 4 months of growth, the ruffles are here. Looking good in Tennessee! :D
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer:
New Topic Post Reply