Heuchera Confessions . . .

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Homer_Zn5

Heuchera Confessions . . .

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Okay, I bought a Heuchera 'Palace Purple' in 2003 and planted it in a spot where few plants thrive. Well, it did very well there, so I picked up a 'Lime Rickey' and 'Amber Waves' last summer. Amber waves made it all of 3 weeks. :evil: However, 'Lime Rickey' is looking great, so I picked up 'Marmalade' this spring (I HAD to try again), and placed it in a spot where it will get all but late afternoon sun. Yup, then I picked up 'Plum Pudding' last week (planted last night). I've got it bad, now.

Yes, the bug has set in. I spent last night on the 'net looking at Heuchera that I just 'gotta have. I even called a local nursery to see what they carry. And I thought the hosta bug was bad. :-?

So, which Heuch's are you Jonesin' for?
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
mooie

Post by mooie »

Well, in my honest opinion, if you don't have a Velvet Night, you don't have em all. I fell in love with this one years ago, and tho I've collected many more since then...well..... this one still makes me stand and stare. Purple Palace can't even come close to touching it. :D Oh, and if you want your socks knocked off next spring, consider the heucheralla 'Sunspot'. Whoa!

mooie
Last edited by mooie on May 02, 2005 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Imagine~
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

They can grow on ya cant they? I have a REALLY cool seedling from last year, that I was eyeballing yesterday. I've never seen one marked like it before. :o It's going to be shipped out though, to someone special. :D
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Yes, my current want list looks like this:

Stormy Seas
Obsidian
Swirling Fantasy
Chocolate Ruffles
Peachy Keen
Prince of Orange
Velvet Night
Ruby Veil . . . and more :roll:
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
jay dee

heuchera

Post by jay dee »

Ditto on the heucherella Sunspot - it GLOWS in the garden. I have it planted next to the lingularia that is dark green with the yellow spots and it makes a very attractive grouping.

If you like gold hosta, try Sunspot, you won't be disappointed.

jay dee
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

Ditto on Sunspot, it's simply stunning! But I have to say, Lime Ricky is at least that spectacular if not more so! I'm anxious to see how they all perfom throughout the season.
I've seen three in the nurseries this Spring that are all very similar, Marmalade, Caramel and Peach Melba. All very striking but interchangeable imho.

I bought Purple Palace years ago and frankly it's never floated my boat, at least in my garden. I've found other's since that are fab, Obsidian and Velvet Knight to name two.
And then for the greens, how 'bout that 'Green Spice'?!
OMG, they're as addicting as Hosta for heaven's sake! :o
I'm heading back out to the gardens! :lol:
jay dee

heuchera

Post by jay dee »

Peggy - You will love Sunspot when it blooms. Mine is blooming now and the bright pink blooms against the gold foliage is stunning.

I will be anxious to see Lime Rickey bloom.

I've also added the Dayglow heucherella to my list - love those bright glowing blooms.

jay dee
impatience

Post by impatience »

Anyone know how H. 'Key Lime Pie' stacks up? I haven't been able to find 'Lime Ricky' locally, but did pick up KLP.

Heucheras are really special.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
mooie

Post by mooie »

:D "Sunspot"

mooie
Attachments
heucherella.jpg
~Imagine~
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Just to enable your addiction a little bit more, click on the Home button below my signature line and take a peek at my heucheras :)

It's all KellieD's fault... I blame her in full for my addiction :)

(Thanks Kellie :) )
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

mooie your Sunspot looks good compared to mine this year...It shrunk... :o :evil:

My Lime Ricky is doing great, and I was just telling Pat, I need more... :lol:

Peggy, I will have to look for Caramel and Peach Melba. Have pretty much stayed out of nursery's on purpose, but tomorrow I might have to run and get some more Liquid Fence, so I just might hit one or two....

Sure Andi, blame someone else......I do too...:lol:
jay dee

heuchera

Post by jay dee »

I just planted Key Lime Pie out into the garden and it is gorgeous. Very bright gold but I have no clue as to what the blooms will look like - I bought it for the foliage.

I planted the Peach Melba and Creme Brulee in the same area close to Potomac Pride, Paradign and Gold Standard. Hopefully the colors will be great together when all the colors blend.

jay dee
Maureen_Ottawa

Post by Maureen_Ottawa »

I'm on the lookout for Peachy Keen and Peach Flambe. Where can I find a pic of Peach Melba? That is my all-time favourite dessert.
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

Maureen this site has a decent pic.
http://www.djroger.com/Dolce%20Peach%20Melba.htm

Kathleen, Conner's has a boatload of Lime Ricky and Caramel. :D Though they may not once I get back over there! :roll:

Jay Dee, Sunspot is now blooming and those pink flowers are cute as can be. Pretty too against the foliage.

What to do if you wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep??? Check out the pics of Andi's Heuchs! :lol: That's what I was doing at 2 a.m. ;) Gorgeous plants Andi!
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Of the ones I have, my favorites are Can Can and Plum Pudding. I must confess that Eco, Regal, & Pewter were before my labeling days. I know I have them and they are all in a triangle grouping, but no idea who is who. :???:
I thought I had it figured out a couple years ago and then lost my little slip of dirt smudged paper. :lol:

Can Can
common
Eco-magnififolia
Palace Purple
Pewter Veil
Plum Pudding
Raspberry Regal
Regal Robe
Ruby Veil

.... and Heucherella Pink Frost

I sooooo want one of the light peachy/orange ones, but as you read in another post I killed 3 Amber Waves. I does not look promising for me.
Attachments
Can Can
Can Can
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

Saturday I was at my fav greenhouse to pick up a few annuals...of course I had to check out their perens while I was there. ;) They don't have Lime Ricky but did have Key Lime Pie, which of course a few thought it a good idea to hitch a ride home with me! :D
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Don't think I will be getting many hosta this year, but sure would love just about any and all heuch/heucherella/what ever, I see at the nurseries. These are some of my favorites Homer.
Attachments
fav.JPG
purple.jpg
Lime.jpg
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

sorry, had to add some more in, hard to pic favorites.
Attachments
sunspot.JPG
strawswirl.JPG
purple1.JPG
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

My favorites? Purple Petticoats, Autumn Haze...........and the list goes on!!! :D :D :D
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

I have also become addicted to Heuchera, there are such gorgeous new ones this year.I have Prince of Silver, but I haven't seen Prince of Orange. That must be outstanding. I just keep looking for the new ones. I have ordered Peach Flambe,Peachy Keen and Sparkling Burgandy. Can't wait to see them.
Lovin' the great northwest!
New Topic Post Reply