Heuchera seedlings from 2004

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
GrannyNanny

Heuchera seedlings from 2004

Post by GrannyNanny »

Here are some of my last year's crop of heuchera seedlings. Some I know the seed parent and some I don't, but they're all looking good. I was especially surprised to find that the gold one I thought was gone for good has reappeared, and is lovely. It has gold leaves, and red stems. Have no idea what the flowers will be like, but who cares when the leaves are this gorgeous??? Phyllis
Attachments
2005 5 1 Heuchera sdlng gold w red stems.jpg
2005 5 1 Heuchera sdlng plum pudding 2.jpg
2005 5 1 Heuchera sdlng Lady in Red.jpg
GrannyNanny

Just a few more.......

Post by GrannyNanny »

Can't leave without showing you these --- Phyllis
Attachments
2005 5 1 Heuchera sdlng plum pudding.jpg
2005 5 1 Heuchera sdlngs Lady in Red.jpg
s Strain.jpg
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

Those are fantastic! I'm going to save some seeds this fall, for sure!
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Heucheras self-seed happily in our beds, and many of the chilluns are as pretty as their promiscuous parents. I have to work hard to keep track of the named plants vs. the volunteers.

With the new plants (see the other post) adding to the genetic soup, who knows what might show up! (do you know, phyllis, how likely cross- vs. self-pollination is for heucheras?)
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

They are looking great Phyllis! :D That gold one is really cool! :cool:

All of my seedlings from winter 2003/2004 have returned and are growing nicely. 8-) Thank you for sharing your seeds.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Tigger -- no, I don't know how likely self vs cross pollination is in Heucheras. All I know is that they are not likely to look exactly like the seed parent, so I'm assuming cross pollination most of the time. I've quit naming them -- I just plant them all over my gardens, with the hope that eventually every inch of bare ground between other, bigger plants will be covered with a weed-smothering heuchera! Phyllis
Liselotte

Heuchera

Post by Liselotte »

Phyllis your plants are just gorgeous! I have to start watching for seeds, especially now that my 'Amber Waves'
survived and probably will like it here! 8-)
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Granny Nanny, what do you feed your Hecheras? THere are so many really outstanding heucheras thid year, I have gone crazy for them. And all your seedlings are beautiful
Lovin' the great northwest!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I don't feed them anything special when they're in the garden -- just a general application of 10-10-10 fertilizer at the beginning of the season. The seedlings I feed with half-strength liquid fertilizer in the water, applied once a week. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply