Heuchera babies, all planted out

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
GrannyNanny

Heuchera babies, all planted out

Post by GrannyNanny »

I just finished planting out the rest of my heuchera babies -- three and a half flats of them. I had already planted two and a half flats, so that makes a LOT of heucheras! I saved out ten of the bushiest and put them right into the garden -- these are in the nursery until they grow up more. The only two that are not seedlings are the bright yellow and pink ones at lower left -- those are 'Caramel' and 'Peach Flambe', which I got from Viktoria, and which are also needing some TLC before I plant them anywhere else. My knees and back are sore, but the plants are IN the ground -- hooray!!! Phyllis
Attachments
Heuchera seedlings 5 25 2006.jpg
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I bet your back is sore and knees are tired. SO? How do you start them? From seed or cuttings? I think I read somethign about cuttings from you or others before. IS there a time of year for that? OR any info you can share?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Jane -- so far, I've grown them from seed but have not tried cuttings. I may do so next year, when a couple of my very dark, nearly black, purple ones are bigger, since I'd like to get exact copies, and you never do that with seeds. There is a thread of mine on this forum about growing heuchs from seed, so check on that, and it'll tell you pretty much all you need to know. Phyllis
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, will do that! I suppose if they came true to seed, there wouldn't be the price they get for them, so I'll have to consider something like your suggestion. I'll check the thread on seeding then Thanks!:)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Nice Phyllis!!

I love doing the seedlings.....I just bought a very black heuch called Licorice.....Boy it's black.....I am going to try it's seeds if I get any.....I am finding that the dark ones just do so much better....:-)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Wow those are great looking!

I am going to try seeds for the first time too - thanks for your terrific instructions.

I don't have anything too exciting yet, but I guess you never know when the bees may do something cool for you!

Thanks for posting!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

They look great, Phyllis. :cool:

I have to move the seedlings that I grew in the beginning of 2004. They are huge. There are little hosta seedlings that are now covered by them.

I didn't have any luck winter sowing them this year. I only did half of the seed though. I think the soil was too heavy and stayed too wet. They were already planted when you posted the instructions. I guess I needed a refresher course. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply