Heuchera 'Orange man'?

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Brenda

Heuchera 'Orange man'?

Post by Brenda »

Has anyone ever seen heuchera orange man? In browsing the plant lists for our local nurseries, I found a listing for it. It is described as the oddity in this category…it’s spotted and blotched with purple, chartreuse, amber-gold. I could not find a picture of it. Just wondering if it is worth the 35 minute drive.

Also, after checking out the 2 nurseries closest to my house, I found the following (have not bought yet as I was just checking it out and making my list):

-Rachel
-Earth Angel (too expensive at 24.99)
-Gaurdian Angel (also 24.99)
-Brownies
-key lime pie
-mocha mint
-licorice
-peach melba
-Creme de Menthe
-Venus

Does anyone have any recommendations on the above?

I am not too sure about peach melba. I bought caramel this morning. I have peachy keen, peach flambe, amber waves (although it is hardly noticeable) and creme brule (dont think too much of creame brule) now. Also key lime pie looks alot like lime rickey, but based not being impressed with creme brule, I wasnt sure about key lime pie). I love my obsidian so might get licorice. I will also be buying midnight rose, just havent gotten there yet. Nor have I seen the list for my favorite nursery (which is where I got paris, rave on etc). She always has fabulous heuchs at a great price. I am just not allowed (as per family) to go to the actual nursery (must resort to buying from her at garden show) for fear they will never see me again or I will spend FAR too much money (which I will :lol: ).

But the description of orange man really interests me.

Brenda
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I don't have Orange Man but even the name is intriguing :lol: I am too cheap to pay over 12.00 for any one cause I have seen the prices on many come down in a year or two! But I know sometimes plants just beg you to take them home :o
Libby

Post by Libby »

Wow, I was surprised to see this post because I have Orange Man. Got it last summer and couldn't surf out much info or any description on it. Brenda, mine shows none of the characteristics you listed! Weird, huh? If this isn't OM then it's a vigorous growing mystery - and it bounced back like a champ after the hard freeze, too!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Libby, could it be a case of a switched tag? the heuchera in your photo looks like my Purple Petticoats.

Brenda, I was going to strongly recommend Peach Melba -- until you said you have Peach Flambe. They are similar, depending upon growing conditions.

I have Creme de Menthe and saw Licorice today -- I passed on the latter because it looked so much like the former. If you don't have anything like it, then I'd recommend the Licorice. :)

I love Obsidian too!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
impatience

Post by impatience »

I love my peach melba!! The last year I thought it was kinda odd looking like it was dying. This year it has come out the most gorgeous colors!! (I had to buy two more a couple of weeks ago because I need them in new places :oops: ) BTW, the new ones look kinda deadish like the other one did last year. The year in the ground makes a big difference.

I also have Key Lime Pie. Nice plant but not spectacular, IMHO, but a nice green and it has nice flowers (I think that many of the heucheras have crummy flowers).

If I can get my camera out I will try to take some pics.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

My heuchera searches are getting very frustrating!! I see one more Palace Purple I think I will scream!! :eek:

May just have to resort to mail order, but I hate to have to spend what amounts to extra money for each plant. :evil:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Claudia,

Have you looked at Chris's plants?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Brenda, Orange Man is well worth the drive. It is dark/almost black from a distance with bright orangish ruffle's (looks fantastic in the sun). It turns VERY ORANGE in the fall. If I can get my camera to work, I'll post a pic, but I'm having problems with it. :-?
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Well, here is Orange Man, later in the evening in the shade, it doesn't show off it's color like it does in the sun. If I can keep my camera working, I'll try and do this tomorrow. It's 2 years old now, but fighting with thistle (so I've darn near killed it with weed killer).

Here he is in my perennial border, just to the right and down from the red candle holder.

baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I need that one!!!!! I just did a google search for it and the only place I found that has it doesn't ship. :cry: If only body finds them, I want one too!!!!

Debbie
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I like your border--the heucheras really add a punch of color.
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Debbie, it was just by chance that I even found him at a nursery last year.

The name must come from the fact that he turns bright orange in the fall.

I with you maidofshade, except for my stolen iris (tee hee), and my heuch's, I'd have no color. I had to steal the iris from my neighbor's yard after they forgot to tell me that their house had been sold....LOL
Libby

Post by Libby »

Maybe mine was mislabed but it does have a different appearance in the sun. Can't say it's really that orange but I'll watch it more closely to see what happens this fall.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Thanks Denise! Now you have me intrigued and tempted to make the drive. Only problem would be smuggling in another heuchera, 2 more showed up in between yesterday and today :lol: plus I have several plants that need to be planted or my llife will start being threatened soon :D .

Brenda
New Topic Post Reply