Emperor's Cloak

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Emperor's Cloak

Post by caliloo »

The nursery man said this one grows from seed and is ID'd by the ruffly foliage. It comes in red and green and is meant to be sold that way. I think it is fun looking!

Thanks for looking!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

That's from one rhizome? Very peculiar. I think it would make me crazy to use it in the garden, but it's cool.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Well, it actually looks like 2 separate rhizomes. The commonality is the leaf shape/size/ruffles/etc are supposed to be identical and the only thing different is the color. They did have some post of just one or the other, I chose one with both.

That said, googling "emperor's cloak" reveals it is only supposed to be the red version. I wonder what the green version is called and if I should tell the folks at Russell's! :o
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Very cool and you get 2 for the price if 1!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

It looks cool like that. :)

I researched after reading what you said... it seems that this is commonly grown from seed and the red version is expected, but green versions do occur. Both versions are apparently called 'Emperor's Cloak', but the non-red is stated as "green 'Emperor's Cloak'. odd.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I grew these from seed a few years ago, but the red ones didn't make it, although I have one lovely green one. The ruffles are the important thing on this plant -- the flowers are almost non-existent, and are just a drab shade of greeny white. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply