Does anyone have Sashay or Midnight Rose? Do you like them?

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
pretends_to_garden

Does anyone have Sashay or Midnight Rose? Do you like them?

Post by pretends_to_garden »

Just curious. The Sashay caught my eye... kind of different, kind of cool. Midnight Rose is really cool with the black leaves and pink spots.

Any comments?

Thanks!
Theresa
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I got Midnight Rose last year at the convention, so this is season #2 in my garden.

I think it is beautiful, but is doesn't seem to like me quite as much. Maybe I have it positioned in the wrong spot, it is getting very little sun and then it is late afternoon sun. It may be happier with morning sun and more than what it is getting here.

The leaves are definitly larger than last year, but the overall plant size hasn't changed that much and it isn't significantly fuller.

As far as a dramatic look - it is a total winner!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We have Sashay and it has grown great. When the wind blows those purple backs really catch your eye.

Since we've lost so many different heucheras here it is just nice to see one overwinter without a hitch and multiply really well like this one :)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I did wonder how come I didn't see too many heucheras at your place, Chris. Somehow I managed to come home with none this time around! Not sure how that happened. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Maureen_Ottawa

Post by Maureen_Ottawa »

Midnight Rose is new this year. I've kept it in its pot and it gets afternoon sun. As it is so dark, I figured it would look nicest in a pot. I have planted dark geraniums in the garden and they really disappear against the ground.
Maureen
Ottawa, Ontario
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

I don't have Sashay but my Mom does...it is gorgeous and had done well.

Just got Midnight Rose about 1 month ago. Sure looks good but I think this is a small one...we'll see how it does.

Stephanie
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

This is a little late, but Midnight Rose has grown well here since July. It gets a couple hours of mid/late day sun. This picture is a little dark, but the hot pink/black color combo of the new growth is great! The creamy pink specks on the older leaves isn't bad, either. I hope this turns out to be a stronger plant than some of the other newer intros.

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Really wish I would have bought that one when I saw it!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:cool: I like this one! Have to keep an eye out for it :D Thanks for sharing the pic!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Will be on the look for that beauty :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Hostadream

Post by Hostadream »

Hi all, look what i find, differences in colors from Heuchera Midnight Rose.
Above > normal examples
Under > 2 examples with much more splotches.
Dirk.
Attachments
Heuchera Midnight Rose.jpg
Hostadream - Heucheradream, Hosta's & Heuchera's in the Picture
www.hostadream.be - www.heuchera.org
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Many of the new intros have H. villosa in them, and those are likely to be hardier and more persistent/less fussy. Some of the intros from the last few years are strictly annuals here.

I do have 'Sashay' and should have bought more! One plant alone gets lost in a garden the size of mine.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
DryGulch

Yeah, huechera

Post by DryGulch »

I have to say in the sandy loam here huecheras can struggle which is surprising. They definitely don't like peat, which I use a lot as it is a native soil here (although the older types and villosa do).

Purple Petticoats and Florist Choice have done well (Rasberry flowers are incredible), Champagne Bubbles was terrible. The Bressingham hybrids are amazing here with the repeat bloom, length of bloom and redness of flowers. Stormy Seas is pretty good, very tolerant of a wide variety of soils, dryness, sun/shade, etc.

Green Spice just sits there, pretty, but hasn't grown.

I usually stick to Palace Purple, but did pick up Caramel this year. Marmalade was a complete flop.
Hostadream

Post by Hostadream »

Hi, i plant all my Heuchera's in pots and not into the ground.
Also i use 2 times a year the biobest product with beneficial nematodes against the vine weevil and they doing very all good on this way.
I have now 65 varietys of Heucheras alone.
I keep collecting 8-) 8-)
Dirk.
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Dirk, I have 2 Midnight Roses and they look like your top pics. Mine are in the ground, but they are new this summer.

I've also have 3 Sashay and I love this little Heuchera!!!
Hostadream

Post by Hostadream »

Hi Debbie, i think that Heuchera Sashay have a very good look as Heuchera Purple Pettycoats but this one is larger i mean.
I make this winter a new website of Heucheras, i let the forum know when the website is online :wink:
Dirk.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I do have 'Sashay' and should have bought more! One plant alone gets lost in a garden the size of mine.
Viktoria, I got Sashay last year, a nice gallon sized one, and divided it in the spring into about 6 one gallon pots and they have done very well for me over the year, to a point where those divisions are almost as big as the single one I started out with last year. In my books Sashay is a vigorous grower, I love it!
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply