Can you divide Heuchera?

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Can you divide Heuchera?

Post by wishiwere »

And how would you do this? Is there a site that shows how to do this?[/quote]
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

Yes, they can be divided, and should be every 3 or 4 years. Lift with a garden fork instead of a shovel...it protects the roots better. Pull apart by hand into a couple of divisions and replant. Throw away any woody clumps, usually from the center. If you google "dividing heuchera," you will find a lot of sites that will give more info.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks a ton! :D I'll do that google search!
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I just took 30 cuttings of my heucheras. I used a scalpel knife and cut out one of the little plants that seem to grow up the stems. then I dipped them in rooting hormone and potted them up in 1/2 sand 1/2 potting mix. I would have done this earlier in the year except that the weather was so blasted hot. I did this Monday and we are supposed to have rain and clouds till Sat so figured it was a good time to try to make more! I just hope they root up before frost so I don't have to have them in the "greenhouse" all winter. But they are so colorful, I guess I wouldn't really mind too much. I have done a few this in the spring and they seemed to root quickly. I just test by tugging at them after a couple weeks to see if they are rooting down. Also they start making new little leaves in the center. Then I put them out and hope for the best.
I googled and found this to be one of the methods. Also said late summer is a good time to divide.
Crossing my fingers as the cuttings look pretty!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, I think being it's my 'first' time dividing these, I'll do it in the spring when I don't have to worry about snow next week or something! hm...well, less worrying anyway. Never know in this state! :(

But thanks!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Old tailes here say you have to take cuttings every year and trow away the old part... did that with the first one... but I am lazy and love to find other ways.. so here is what I do now.
If I want more, I just take 2" or so of the mother plant everywhere it is disharmonic.. pell off a few leafs and plant them in potting soil.

If a mother plant will be ugly one day I might dig it up and split it, but for now, they do not know it is possible and seems to like the lazy way :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply