planting in pots

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
mrtoad
USDA Zone: 7b

planting in pots

Post by mrtoad »

i would like to plant a few heuchera in a terracotta pot - what size do you recommend

thanks

rdeal
Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday - - No Someday
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Depends on the size of the plant. :lol:

I have several Heuchera in various sized pots - all are doing well and wintered over in them. Some are group plantings in 14" pots (I fill the bottom with about 3-4 inches of styrofoam peanuts for drainage) and contain 3 heuchera that were tiny last year. THey are all leafing out beautifully and may deserve a larger spot this year.

One I had in a 1 gal nursery pot, but it was rootbound in a 4 inch pot last spring. It is also doing well and leafing out.

I had a plethora of Palace Purple and stuck 5 big single divisions into a 14 inch post last summer - all 5 wintered over well, but if they hadn't I would not have cared - it is a weed here!

Basically - use common sense. Don't put a tiny TC plug into a 14 inch pot by itself and expect it to fill the pot by the end of a growing season. But as far as keeping them in containers - it works well for me!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have found for Heuchera you don't need a really deep pot, the crown sits basically on top of the ground and the roots will move out to the side. and stay fairly shallow.

Ginger
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I'm going to try mine in pots.
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

How much water do they need? I planted some once that died and I wonder if there wasn't enough water. My 'Plum Pudding' ones that I just bought are gorgeous. I don't want them to die. The pots are on the east side of the house in front of my little porch.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I am in Zone 7 and I found mine liked to be on the drier side, so I watered every other time I watered my Hosta which was about every 3 days during the summer. Mine were doing better in the pots than they were in the ground, that is until my dog decided he liked them better out of the pot :evil: and I did not find them where he hid them until they were dead :evil: :evil: I plan to try again though :lol: :lol:

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply