Crown pushing up--------do I replant?

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
flowerchild59

Crown pushing up--------do I replant?

Post by flowerchild59 »

On a couple of my early risers I notice the crown sticking up more than last year.
Do I dig up and plant deeper???
I started with a dozen or so last year, probably lost 4 over the winter.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

The crowns will eventually grow higher naturally but unless it is falling over or ugly I just leave them alone. You could mulch it a little or put a little compost around it if you want. I usually don't replant unless I can see the root ball. Then I might lift and plant just a little deeper.

They really like good drainage, and last winter I had a couple newer varieties struggle too since our soil tends to retain a lot of moisture. If I bury them any deeper it could make it worse. The plan here is to create some raised beds for them to improve the drainage, but at the same time if a plant isn't vigorous in their current tough conditions I probably shouldn't be selling them...
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

When my Huch were alive (that is another story) they did best with their crowns above the soil a bit. It seemed when I tried to bury them deeper, they struggled, but when they had worked their way up they did much better. It was almost like they stood on thier roots :lol:

Ginger
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hmmm....I just went around my yard last week and covered up hosta roots that had heaved over the winter and I also covered up some heucheras that looked like they had heaved. I wonder now if that was the wise thing to do? :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply