Heuchera Bathing Question

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
renaldo75

Heuchera Bathing Question

Post by renaldo75 »

:o Odd question I know. I bought Peach Flambe today because it was just the right size & color to go in a container garden of mostly hosta. I'm going to be entering the container garden in the MW Hosta convention contest in a couple of weeks.

My question about heuchera bathing is because all of the leaves of this little guy are discolored by very visible whitish splotches on every leaf. I'm sure it is probly from a fertilizer that's mixed with the water. [It was also covering the leaves of Hosta 'Cameo' that I bought from the same place.]

I tried soaking the leaves in a mild soapy water for 5-10 minutes, then rinsed them off in a bowl of tap water. When the leaves were dry, they looked just like they had before I washed them off. :???:

Any suggestions on cleaning them would be appreciated. I'm hoping that our abundant rains this spring will take care of the problem. If anyone has any ideas, please share them.

Thanks!! :D
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Reldon, I've gotten plants with that white fertilizer stuff on the leaves and it won't come off. Maybe enough new leaves will grow by then and cover it up. Give it some SuperThrive and Milorganite.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well that wasn't the answer I wanted to read, Debbie. :???: :wink: :lol: It's the perfect size now - smallish. I don't want it to get any bigger in 2 weeks. Let's hope the rain will help.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Hi Reldon --

Since your soaking didn't work, it's probably salt build-up from a fertilizer. Choose a leave or two and experiment: first I'd try using something very soft (like a cotton ball, soft cotton cloth, sable paintbrush), dipped in mild soapy water (supposedly shouldn't use soap that's antibacterial), and try to gently rub it off... then rinse with clear water.

If that doesn't do it, you've got nothing to lose, so next I'd try rubbing the leave with something that is dipped in milk (then I'd rinse with water).

See if that makes a difference --
I'll try to remember to check the texture of my Peach Flambe leaves tomorrow to see what else I'd try.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for your help, Party. :) I was thinking a cotton ball might be my next option. The garden was planted Sunday evening so those white splotches had better disappear!! :???: But the abundant rain will hopefully help too. We had rain this morning & it's come down pretty good again this evening. And still raining. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be gone. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply