My Coral Bells Are Dead

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Midnight Reiter Too

My Coral Bells Are Dead

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

i planted them in pots last year, but they obviously didn't survive the winter.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: My Coral Bells Are Dead

Post by govgirl75 »

:cry:
I have had a couple go by the wayside over the winter. Both were new varieties and in the ground for one year. They seemed pretty well established, too. I hate when that happens.
Glo
John

Post by John »

Sorry to hear it. I've been disappointed in them, as they were supposed to be companions to the hostas, in the shade. But, in the shade, most of the burgundies and purples turn green. And they won't tolerate dry shade, which is a big problem under my trees, although the hostas are fine once established.

I recommend hostas in containers, though. At least 50% fine pine bark to the mix, for good drainage. I usually shelter them in some way, like up against the house, and under the canopy, but last year left them to their on devices and they were all fine.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I lost my little Peach Flambe...it was a real pretty color too.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Midnight Reiter Too

nanny_56 wrote:I lost my little Peach Flambe...it was a real pretty color too.
Yes, that's a beautiful plant! I'm sorry you lost it.
Midnight Reiter Too

John wrote:Sorry to hear it. I've been disappointed in them, as they were supposed to be companions to the hostas, in the shade. But, in the shade, most of the burgundies and purples turn green. And they won't tolerate dry shade, which is a big problem under my trees, although the hostas are fine once established.

I recommend hostas in containers, though. At least 50% fine pine bark to the mix, for good drainage. I usually shelter them in some way, like up against the house, and under the canopy, but last year left them to their on devices and they were all fine.
That's a thought. I'm so fickle about the north side of the house... the ONLY shade that I have. I just can't decide what I want between the hydrangeas.
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

My Burgundy I planted last year is gone it came up this spring not very big and fizzled.My hopes were to compliment the Hosta's.
I_Dig_it

Post by I_Dig_it »

Last year I bought Snow Angel and it was beautiful........last year.
This year it was slow to send up new leaves and when it finally did they were very tiny.
I had to do something to try and save it, so I dug it up and planted it in a more protected area and it's
finally growing more new leaves, but it's a far cry from what it was last year.

Janet
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Qestion? I read somewhere that you should cut back heuchera in the spring? Good idea or no? The ones I have on the deck are doing well (except for
Ginger Ale)Any ideas ? Also, what is good to feed them? I have some new ones coming and I want to give them a good start.( That is if it ever stops raining here! :hmm:
Lovin' the great northwest!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I never cut mine back. A balanced, all purpose fertilizer is fine but coral bells are not heavy feeders so don't over-do it.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

We have several varieties and they thrive in our zone 5 dry shade with ocassional watering.perhaps they prosper better in ground.
Peter
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

rosemarie wrote:Qestion? I read somewhere that you should cut back heuchera in the spring? Good idea or no? The ones I have on the deck are doing well (except for
Ginger Ale)Any ideas ? Also, what is good to feed them? I have some new ones coming and I want to give them a good start.( That is if it ever stops raining here! :hmm:
I don't cut mine back usually, I just dead-leaf them (strip out anything that's dead or was damaged over the winter). This year, though, I had a couple that frost heaved and were pretty heavily damaged so I top dressed with some compost to get them tucked back in and then I cut them back to the basal foliage, which was just starting to emerge (this was in early April.) I had honestly thought they were goners, but cutting back seems to have rejuvenated them and they're looking much healthier, if smaller, now. I'd say cutting back works well if you've got heavy damage.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
New Topic Post Reply