Harvesting Heuchera seeds

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
GrannyNanny

Harvesting Heuchera seeds

Post by GrannyNanny »

A couple of you have said you can't find the heuchera seeds on the plants, so I thought I'd tell you how I harvest mine. First, you need to know that they are TINY -- more like fairy dust than seeds -- so that you can't really see them. You just wait until the flowers have dried on the stalks --- then take your thumb and forefinger, start at the bottom of the stalk, and zip your fingers up the stalk, catching the dried flowers (which contain the seeds) in a cup or envelope. When you have harvested them, use a regular kitchen strainer, put the dried flowers in it, and -- again using your fingers -- rub the dried flowers through the mesh of the strainer into a bowl. The seeds will be in the detritus from the flowers, and will not be deterred from germinating by having powdered dry flowers mixed in! Store them in an envelope (I use the small manila coin-envelopes, first taping shut any flaps or seams in the envelope, since the seeds are so tiny that they will easily escape through the smallest hole.) Tape the top shut, too. I store the envelopes in the fridge, inside a ziplock plastic bag to make sure they don't get any moisture in them.
Sowing is simple. I use a 3x5" index card, folded in half (fold along the middle of the short way of the card), put the seeds in it, and then tap the end of the card to get them to sprinkle over the moist seed-starting mix. Be sure to mix the seed starter at 2/3 starter mixed with 1/3 perlite -- heuchera seedlings don't like heavy soil, or being too wet. (Grownup heucheras don't like those things much, either.)
You will get LOTS of seedlings -- you have no idea of how many seeds there are in that dust-like mix you just sowed! When they have their true leaves, you can replant them into a larger tray or flat, and eventually into pots.
I hope this helps some of you to venture into growing heucheras from seed. They are really amazingly easy, and you get such a lot of bang for your buck! If you have further questions, PM me, or ask the question on this thread, and I'll do my best to answer. Phyllis
newtohosta-no more

Re: Harvesting Heuchera seeds

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Who would have thought that the seeds were really like "dust"? Not me! Thanks for the explanation, Phyllis. If I ever want to sow my own, I'll now know what to do. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Thanks Phyllis! I may try this next year!
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Phyllis, do the seedlings look like the mother plant. I may give this a try myself next year. Sounds easier than hosta's.
Thanks for educating us.
Sue
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, Phyllis! I hope to try my hand at growing some heuchera seeds next fall.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Suedia -- like hostas, heucheras do not look like their parent plants, which is why it's so much fun to see what you'll get. One of those I posted pics of looks like a Dale's Strain (which has nondescript greeny white flowers) because of the highly marked and colored leaves, but the seeds came from a purple with silver markings which apparently grew close enough to a Dale's Strain to be cross-pollinated. Now I'm going to be anxious to see what kind of flowers this new hybrid has -- maybe the strongly marked leaves AND the bigger, prettier flowers will emerge on the same plant! Phyllis
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Thanks Phyllis. Good explanation.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Definitely going to give this a try this season--thanks so much for the information!
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

Granny do the Herc seeds need a chill period? Can I start them now that they appear to be at the seed stage?
New Topic Post Reply