Heuchera registration?

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Heuchera registration?

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

I've been wondering, is there an official registrar for heucheras, heucherellas and tiarellas?

I'm realizing that these 3 plants are my next garden obsession, so, of course, I need to know what I don't already have. LOL

I found Dirk's site, but is that the official registrar?
Is there a heuchera society?
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
rosemarie

Re: Heuchera registration?

Post by rosemarie »

if you search for 'Dave's Garden' and go to Guides and information, then Heuchera you will fine listings for all the Heuchera. It is hard to find all of them for sale, I know I have been trying, but at least you will have some idea of what is out there. I found a couple of Websites that listed some new (to me) ones but they were in the UK and I have had no experience with ordering from there. Altho' when I was selling on E-bay I sent some things overseas. Give it a try and let me know if I have given you the right dope! I have had time to go on line cause it is so cold here I can't even go out on the deck to check my plants. It hasn't gotten above 31 degrees today!

And I kow we are pantywaists but we are just not used to this and my KNEES hurt. :D
Lovin' the great northwest!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

As far as this siteknows (and they seem like they would be the ones to know) there is no registration authority for the genus heuchera (or tiarella). It's a matter of time, I suppose, before Heuchera societies start up.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Well, I went back to Dave's Garden and ended up spending a couple of hours there. :o I located a nursery in Virginia that had quite a selection of Heuchera. I might give them a try in a couple of months. (I noticed that we went up to 32 degrees. Karma how are you doing up 'north'?)
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

rosemarie wrote:Well, I went back to Dave's Garden and ended up spending a couple of hours there. :o I located a nursery in Virginia that had quite a selection of Heuchera. I might give them a try in a couple of months. (I noticed that we went up to 32 degrees. Karma how are you doing up 'north'?)
I've been looking around at different sites. I've already ordered about a dozen for this year and have another dozen in a cart with a different vendor.

I'm absolutely STUNNED that any group of plants COULD have a veritable rainbow of possibilities in the foliage color. Here's a snapshot of my own wish list:

I actually gave some thought to starting a "Heuchera Library". I don't know how successful it could be if there aren't societies out there to promote its use and get hybridizers to submit photos.

Today, up here in da nort, it was EXTREMELY cold. ... the coldest it's been in a few weeks. I don't think we broke 10ºF today. I took my daughter to Mall of America today.... largest mall in the country.... They have 2 huge covered parking lots with covered skywalks to the mall itself. So, even if the weather sucks, it's still not bad to go. And we coat checked at Nordstrom. The interesting thing is that this mall has NO HEATING SYSTEM! It's square... 1 anchor store on each of 4 corners. The center is one big atrium-covered amusement park. That solar heating, plus the heat of the bodies walking thru the mall is enough to keep it heated. That's amazing to me!

Being too cold to go out and having too much snow to play in means I'm left with a laptop and dozens of gardening books. This unfortunately means my credit card is getting a workout!
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

I would like be able to get involved in that kind of a program. I have quite a few Heuchera, or at least I did. By the time I got my sprinklers up in the trees, I had lost some of my plants. As soon as I can get out to check, I will know what I lost. Right now it is so cold I don't even want to go out. I put a few of my Heuchers on my back Deck in pots, they get the morming sun . I want to get more in pots, They seem to do pretty well. There may be a bunch of new ones in the Spring. Then I will be in trouble! :lol:
New Topic Post Reply