Tiarella in Zone 5b or closer

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Tiarella in Zone 5b or closer

Post by Angel3K »

Hi,

Ottawa City, ON Canada here, I believe we are zone 5B. We are hit by heatwave within the week, so the Home Depot have plant sale. Did not pick up any hosta, but I came home with Hibiscus and Tiarellas. I got Spring Symphony, Crow Feather, Sea Foam.

Now, I read the Heauchera Thread, what soil conditions, sun or shade needed and sort of have an idea that cousin Heuchera like more sun and sandy soil. So, does this apply to Tiarella as well?

Have anyone have tried these Tiarellas? They seem to have same left shape as Heuchera, so I pick them up at a good price.

I really appreciate inputs....These 3 pots are just sitting in my front step, I don't know what to do with it. Just, the leaves looks nice.

Thanks. Angie
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Tiarella in Zone 5b or closer

Post by Tigger »

I believe all 3 of those are good clumping plants (there are also running tiarellas). Water them well to get them established, and they should be quite carefree. Even though they're clumpers, I find them easier to split than heucheras.That's a few years down the road for you, though.

They are best planted en masse, I think, to highlight the flowers. Spring Symphony is particularly nice.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

i just put them together to take pictures, and the very tough rugged Heauchera Palace Purple.
they look leggy, so I'm thinking planting them in shallow and wide containers.
Thanks tigger:)

viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Woodsy (loam, leaf mould), well-drained soil in light shade is good. In nature they are shaded by deciduous trees. They do not like to go dry.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

viktoria wrote:Woodsy (loam, leaf mould), well-drained soil in light shade is good. In nature they are shaded by deciduous trees. They do not like to go dry.

Viktoria
ah thanks. I was wondering the type of soil to used. I got some peat moss and sort of magic garden soil. don't know what is means. there is also composted manure.

do you think I mix them all, then plant this tiarellas? I just end up living them in that container for now until i know what to do.
New Topic Post Reply