anybody buying new heuchera's online yet

Discuss and share pictures of plants in the genus Heuchera and the hybrid genus Heucherella, commonly known as coral bells and foamy bells.
ladybug

anybody buying new heuchera's online yet

Post by ladybug »

it has been a long time since i have posted here. i have moved to my retirement home and am ready to get planting once it is safe. i have already placed a large order with chris for perennials but am looking for unusual plants and where you guys have had good experiences finding them. any advice. i really love heucheras.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

i went to see michael buble in concert in charlotte nc on march 18 and it was fabulous!!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: anybody buying new heuchera's online yet

Post by Tigger »

Welcome back.

I haven't bought heuchera online, but have bought quite a few over the years. Some do well, some don't. (Those bred for the Pacific NW don't like our hot summers.)

You might find this link interesting. The Mt. Cuba Center in Delaware has a trial garden program for selections and hybrids of native perennials (native to the eastern Piedmont). Here's the page linking to their heuchera research. http://mtcubacenter.org/trials/heuchera/ I note that Plant Delights (growing plants not far from you?) has a number of these selections.

Sadly, 'Steel City', one of their top choices, doesn't seem to be available in the trade. I did pick up 'Apple Crisp' last year; it is (so far) a very compact plant. Chris has it :) 'Caramel' is the top performer in our garden, while oddly 'Citronelle' isn't as good. Not on Mt. Cuba's list is 'Paris', which is our best bloomer and seems not to care that it's growing in a big pot beside our garage.

David
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Note: keep clicking the "show more" button on that link to see the ones that didn't do so well. They list 76 in all! Quite an extensive trial.
ladybug

Post by ladybug »

hey tigger, i remember you from way back when. i have ordered several times online and had success with most of them. i have placed two fairly good size orders hopefully here in april. can't wait to see them. a few hostas but more perennials and heuchera's. i have one big order coming from chris and one from hostasdirect. of course snow is predicted this weekend.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

i went to see michael buble in concert in charlotte nc on march 18 and it was fabulous!!
New Topic Post Reply