Hakonechloa

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

Doris_J

Hakonechloa

Post by Doris_J »

I love this grass. I've got a few huge clumps in the garden. Here's a close up of the blades. It rained today.
Attachments
hako.JPG
hakograss.JPG
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

It looks good Doris :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
janet

Post by janet »

Great pictures, Doris. I really like this grass and was given some by a friend in a warmer zone. I'm concerned about it surviving my zone 4 winter, though. It's sited against a southwest facing wall, but in partial shade with hosta. Do you have any tips for extra protection I could give it? We have heavy snow cover from November to April.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Janet, since I'm in Washington state, zone 8, I don't have any personal experience with the cold hardiness of Hakonechloa, but I did some research and found some interesting information on another forum (shhhhh!).

Technically, Hakonechloa is hardy to Zone 6, but this thread I read had everyone in Zones 4 and 5 saying that it did just fine with the cold. One person said he thought the key was to plant it early in the season so the roots have a chance to get well established before winter. The only other requirements for this grass are somewhat humusy soil, adequate moisture, and afternoon shade. I think yours will benefit since it's sited near a wall (probably a warmer spot than out in the open). Remember, it will go completely dormant in winter. Try it out and let us know what happens!
janet

Post by janet »

Thanks, Doris. Between the wall, pine boughs as winter mulch, and the constant snow cover I'm hoping I can bring it through. Most zone 4 hardy grasses are pretty boring looking and this one is a stunner. It's worth the extra care.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Boy, that second picture is really beautiful!!

Thanks, Doris!!!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It's beautiful Doris! :cool: I love the color.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I haven't personally had any luck with the gold edged one, but it wasn't a matter of winter but the fact that we've never been able to get good, healthy plant stock :???:

Albo-Striata has grown just fine here over several winters, and my neighbor has had hers even longer.
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

It's a grass that's definitely worth growing. Thelma agrees. Good luck!
Attachments
thelmahako2.JPG
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Tell the truth now Doris. You drug that cat don'tca! :o :D :D :wink:
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Catmint. :lol:
Riskey bud

Post by Riskey bud »

I've never grown it , but it sure is a beauty!! It's funny to me that I don't see it more widely grown in this area, since it seems to do fine. I've only seen one planting along the edge of some woods, and it was beautiful. Wish I could make a "midnight" trip over there!!! Just kidding , but I don't even know who owns that property since it's not close to any of the homes in the vacinity. I'd probably work a trade or something , if I could figure out who owns the property.
My, what a small world!
hostapazoola

Post by hostapazoola »

I really like this grass too!

It grows good for me here in zone five (without any extra protection) but I have noticed some of the leaves reverting to a solid green color.
~Lori~

Walk towards the sunshine,
and the shadows will fall behind you.
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

Doris, those look great! I got three small pots of Hakoneckloa Aureola 3 years ago and they grower slower than a 400 year old bonsai Japanese maple :hmm: . I know it is suppose to be shade tolerant, but mine are getting sun and shade. Are they suppose to be slow growers? Maybe I got bad stock like what Chris saying about his experiences with it. I've got another nursery trying to locate some more.
Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Yes, Billy, they're very slow growers! Mine are actually spreading nicely now, but I've had them for a few years (maybe 7-8?). Mine get a good amount of sun, too, but I keep them well watered. Otherwise, I don't think they'd tolerate as much sun.
John

Post by John »

I love mine! I have two clumps of the golden-edged one, which are increasing very slowly; also the silver/white and green one which is just maintaining...

The golden one has spectacular spring coloring, sort of like red at the base, with the golden/yellow/green leaves extending more each day.

These are awesome for the way clumps appear to have been combed in one direction.

In fact, I believe mine are thanks to Doris_J! They have provided several years of enjoyment!!
New Topic Post Reply