What's Wrong

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

What's Wrong

Post by LucyGoose »

with my grass? It was just fine till about 2 weeks ago....Now it looks like this....I thought maybe a mole went under it, but no.......I do have it planted where there used to be a willow tree there, but we had that cut down years ago when we still had the pool back there.....It's really ugly looking doing this.....and it just got the plumes, too......

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!! :D
Attachments
s 150.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If that's zebra grass (Miscanthus s. 'Zebrinus') it will do that, which is why I only like to grow porcupine grass (Miscanthus s. 'Strictus').

When I used to tend gardens for people I always kept a big ball of twine for these types of grasses and would tie around them in a couple places to try and hold them up. Sometimes it worked but other times not the best. As they grow up they will often fill in better, but then with their cascading habit they often need 6 to 8 feet of room.

Good luck!

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Chris, I got this one from you, last year, at the old place.... :P
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

After reading what I said, I meant that as I don't know what it is....I can't remember.....I just know it's the pointy one.....I guess I will be tieing it up....Thanks!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Then I'm sure you got the porcupine grass. The other thing would be to try and bury it a little deeper, or mound up soil around it. That might help hold up the stems a little bit.

Hopefully it will grow out of the flopping later.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yep, that's it.....remember, I got it last, almost as we were leaving....you probably don't remember. :lol: your not talking about doing that now, right? Next spring after cut it, do it then....(I would think...but then I don't think much..hehe) Oh well, I will just tie it for now......Thanks again!! :D
jay dee

grass

Post by jay dee »

To keep this grass from flopping each fall, next year, when it is about 50% up, shear it off and let it regrow. It will be slightly shorter but you will still get the plumes in the fall. I was about ready to shovel prune mine when I heard this tip on a local gardening show - it works.

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks, Jay-Dee!! :D
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Re: grass

Post by BillyB »

jay dee wrote:To keep this grass from flopping each fall, next year, when it is about 50% up, shear it off and let it regrow. It will be slightly shorter but you will still get the plumes in the fall. I was about ready to shovel prune mine when I heard this tip on a local gardening show - it works.

jay dee
How far should you shear it? To the ground?
Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
jay dee

what's wrong

Post by jay dee »

Cut it back to 4-6" and let it come back.

jay dee
New Topic Post Reply