Can you help ID this grass?

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hapygdnr

Can you help ID this grass?

Post by Hapygdnr »

It showed up in a daylily I moved into a bigger pot (from a nursery) until I could get it to a permanent home. It is about 15" tall and the seed stalks are rather like an umbrella, having a single stem with the seeds in the picture at the middle of a radiating clump of blade-like leaves.I do like the look of it but need to know more... annual or perennial? Invasive :eek: ? Any info will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Jeanne
Attachments
Mystery Grass. EDIT 8.06.JPG
Mystery Grass. EDIT 8.06.JPG (34.51 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
anitamo

Post by anitamo »

I'm not 100% positive, but it may be nut grass. I think that's what it's called. If it is, it's very invasive. Get it out quick if you determine with a search that's what you have.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, nut grass or sedge grass. The roots creep into the soil and will continue to come up again and again until you can get it all. Then those seeds will drop and it will be coming up more and more.

Get those seeds in the trash then carefully dig up the daylily and bare root it to get all of it out.

Good luck,

Chris
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Thanks anitamo and Chris for your replies. Now I know what I need to do - I'll get it out of there right away. I don't need any "invaders".

Jeanne
New Topic Post Reply