Grass in my Grass

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Grass in my Grass

Post by JaneG »

Grrrrr! How am I supposed to keep the grass (lawn grass, etc) out of my ornamentals. I have clumps in the yard and when I planted them there was several inches of soil around the ornamental grass before the lawn grass started. But the lawn grass creeps underground and the ornamental clump keeps getting larger each year and now I have bad grass in my zebra grass and my Karl Forrester. Other than pulling by hand is there anything I can do? I assume that the grass killer I use in my flower and hosta beds would kill the ornamental grass, right? Any suggestions?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Jane!

Boy, I do not know.....Wonder if Chris would know.....I hopew some others see this and can help!

Good Luck and sorry I am no help!
Annie

Post by Annie »

I just leave it. :lol: Some of mine have reg grass growing in it too.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Can you plant them in a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut off? And leave it up out of the ground an inch or so. Or surround them with a barrier to keep the lawn grass out?

Does the ornamental spread by seed? If that's the case, then you have to keep the seed head (which is why some of them are grown) from dispersing. That would mean you'd have to cut the seed off before they ripen and fly off :( Not good huh?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

http://rosecare1.stores.yahoo.net/orov.html

Anyone ever tried this? I have not, but seems worth investigating is the grass coming up in your gardens is too troublesome.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Only bad thing about that stuff is it would also kill the ornemental grass.

You could put some sort of barrier around the good stuff. But if the grass is already growing in it, it's a pain in the patootie getting rid of it. I have even dug mine up and tried to remove the bad grass, didn't work LOL.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

DOH! I was thinking along the lines of using this on perennials. :lol: Yes, I would NOT spray this on an ornamental grass to kill lawn grass. :oops:
New Topic Post Reply