Need some ideas please

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Need some ideas please

Post by Ginger »

Due to the ice storm we had in OK and the loss of the top of a large part of my trees, I am going to have to redo my hosta beds. I would like to add some perennial grasses to help throw some shade during mid to late afternoon when the sun is the hottest. My bed will have a north/south exposure with a small garden shed on the west side.
My thought is to plant some grasses on the east side of the shed and plant some of my hosta and other types of perennials in front of the grass. So based on this, what type of grass do you recommend? I want something that gets really tall, yet is compact enough to throw filtered shade and I would like some color.

Ginger
John

Post by John »

I'd be careful of planting invasive grasses, especially those that run rampant from rhizomes... Sorry I have no suggestions for you. I would recommend using cannas, perhaps, instead! The only grasses I grow near the hostas are the very short black mondo, Ophiopogon. Maybe Pampas grass, Cortaderia, I forgot your zone, that would be for zone 7 and south...
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Thanks John. Yes I am in zone 7. I can certainly pot up the grass if it is an invasive type, but I am hoping there is something that will stay in a decent clump, or is fairly easy to manage. I saw some grass in a magazine that is really tall and has a sort of red feather, but I don't know what it is called or if it will grow in my area or if it is invasive.

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply