Tired of mowing

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

tsl
USDA Zone: 5

Tired of mowing

Post by tsl »

We have 3 acres that we mow and are very tired of it. Tonight I came up with a plan to plant grasses to section off our yard, but still make it look nice. What I need to know is what type of grasses would work best. I live in Northeast Missouri, and the area is pretty much full sun. I want grasses that are tall and will spread quickly, and of course look attractive. Any input will be helpful!!

Tina
JaneG

Re: Tired of mowing

Post by JaneG »

I'm surprised no one has responded here. I know there are some rapidly spreading grasses that might even be called invasive. But with all your space, that might be okay.

I just grow some traditional ornamental grasses, miscanthus varieties, some zebra grass and a Karl Forester.

Hopefully some grass experts will chime in here.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Timber bamboo! Just kidding. Kind of. I wish I had the space to plant a grove of vivax. It is so awesome! Check out some books on ornamental grasses to get some ideas of what appeals to you. I would plant a couple of trees as well. Some oaks for sure. (Something else I wish I had!) I personally love the 'Morning Light' miscanthus. It has a lot of motion. Mine is a smaller selection, but the big ones might work. Karl Forster is a nice grass, too. I like that suggestion. Have fun with it.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
tsl

Post by tsl »

Thanks for the suggestions, I am checking them out!! I'm excited to get started, I know that sitting on my deck looking out , it will look nice. I hope to plant some daylilies in front of the grasses. I'm glad you responded.
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

I made a collection of grasses between 25 and 30 at last count alot of fun not much work.
New Topic Post Reply