Zebra Ornamental Grass

Discuss ornamental grasses and bamboo.

Moderator: Chris_W

lasgirl

Zebra Ornamental Grass

Post by lasgirl »

I have just planted Zebra grass in an above ground spot to help hide a cable television cylinder. I planted it three days ago and it is already turning brown. Any advice as to why?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Zebra Ornamental Grass

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

If it was transplanted then it would just be transplant shock. Make sure it gets plenty of deep water, not just surface water, and avoid overhead watering during the heat of the day. If you just bought it from a container plant there is a chance that it had been watered a couple times a day at the nursery and would need the same amount for a while. Lots of times potted plants are watered and fertilized a lot to keep them full and lush looking but then after planting they start to decline if they aren't babied the same way. Or if it had been growing in a shady spot and moved to a sunny spot it is getting some sunburn.

I would take the hose and set it right at the base of the plant and give it a really good soaking. Repeat every other day for a week to get the moisture really deep and encourage some deep roots to grow. Worse comes to worse trim off the bad leaves and it will grow new ones.

Good luck!

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Good advice from Chris, so I have nothing to add. I do want to say Welcome to the forums though. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Good advice from Chris. I dug up two large Zebra Grass this spring, split them and replanted them. They paused for a moment then took off again and now they are doing great. I was lucky because it was springtime and still cool and frequent rain. Yours might struggle in the heat of summer, but they'll be fine in the long run, I'm sure! :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

Did you get the big Zebra grass ( gets about 6' tall) or the Little Zebra (gets around 3' tall)?
I have a Little Zebra doing the same thing but figured it was the transplant shock so I am trying to give it a little special attention
by hand watering a couple of times a day (early and late).

2012 update => the Little Zebras that I transplanted last year look fabulous this year - listen to Chris for he is wise!!
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
New Topic Post Reply