Confusion re: size of pics for posting

Post general forum comments or forum questions here. Specific gardening questions should be posted in the forum for that particular topic.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Confusion re: size of pics for posting

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi Chris -- the instructions for posting pics say that they can be up to 150 kb, but when I tried to post a couple that were about 130, I got the "photo too big" message, with a note saying they had to be 120 or less. What's the scoop here? I'm going to be posting a lot of pics of the house and the garden, and I want to do it right. Thanks -- Phyllis
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Confusion re: size of pics for posting

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Phyllis,

The file size limit is actually set at 160, but I say 150 as true file sizes can be deceiving. While your system might be saying that the file is 130kb, computers add other things to your images, like tags, dates, descriptions, and icons, making the TRUE file size larger.

Personally I try to keep my image sizes under 100kb. Set your image quality a little lower and it will still likely look fine and give you a much lower file, also never use any more than 72dpi for your images. I'll try to test it here, though, to make sure things are still set up correctly. But if you can't get a 130kb file to load then try 120kb or less instead. Like I said, I bet the file is actually larger than your computer is telling you.

Good luck,

Chris
GrannyNanny

Re: Confusion re: size of pics for posting

Post by GrannyNanny »

Thanks, Chris -- I'll just stick with images under 120, as I have in the past. You're probably right -- a lot of things get added on, unbeknownst to me. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply