June question

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Just to add a little confusion... here is my June, 3rd year in the ground on the west side of my house. Total shade until mid day, then bright sun for a couple of hours, then dappled shade from my neighbors pine trees...... note the narrow margins and bright color that does hold all season.
Attachments
Caliloo_June.jpg
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Does it ever show the 'normal' coloring?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Alexa, that's exactly what mine looked like the first 4 years or so. I was really amazed when it began to change.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Here are two of my Junes:
The blue one was in the shaded greenhouse, the yellow one under a willow with partial sun. Both are in containers and divisions from the same plant.

It is just such an amazing plant. If some gardener has to create a Hosta it would probably look like a mature June. :lol:
Attachments
News_3005.jpg
News_3005.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:o That pic would scare all newbies out of HL

But in fact.. it is h, Júne

Wondering... Where the heck is jgh... we have been talking about h. June for a while

Not in Guacamale, not in China...... retired people :roll:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

My June changes like those two pictures over the course of the summer but it is never all green!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Hej, Pia!! Pay attention :o jgh put in his 2 cents worth near the bottom of the 2nd page of this thread. :wink:

I have one June & a bunch of its sports & sibling sports, but last spring when I was rearranging things in the bed where June is located, I took off a couple of divisions and planted them about 4-6 feet east of where June is planted. The original plant gets a lot of sun from midday after it clears the neighbor's tall trees on the east & it receives afternoon sun until about 5pm & when my house blocks it. Its center has always stayed pretty yellow until later in the summer when it is more of a dark, dusty chartreuse green. I wanted to see how having no real light but dappled would effect the coloring on the new plant. It's shaded by very tall oaks, a redbud, and spirea bushes so there's not much light that will filter down to it. Last summer there was a very noticeable difference between the 2. And I'll get to enjoy my 2 light-induced variations of June soon I hope. :)

I think this debate about June rages at least once a year on here. :wink: I looked up what Mark Zilis wrote about variations in June in the Hosta Handbook & here's what he says: "There has been a bit of debate about the "true" form of .June'. Some say it should have a light center, others say darker. The true plant undergoes significant seasonal changes. In the spring the leaf center is light green (overlaid with a bluish bloom), but turns medium or light gold by early July (in northern Illinois). Under deep shade the center will remain chartreuse. The two other sports of 'Halcyon' noted here ['Goldbrook Glimmer' & 'Paradise Joyce'] differ in the ultimate intensity of the gold center."
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

So Zillis is saying it's never all green ??????

Hi Reynaldo! Long time no see!!
I don't understand why June should start a lot of talk about different Junes because of it's color changes when almost every hosta changes over the seasons!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
jgh

Post by jgh »

Hi, Reldon! I've been gone a couple of months... sounds like you haven't been around too much either... nothing like 'June' to bring out the lurkers!
thy

Post by thy »

Hej Reldon

Not only have you been gone for months, but then you'r back telling me I have been sleeping in the class :o

:evil: You are right :lol:
Was sure a talk about h. June would effect a nerve in Jim where ever he was :wink:

So, ready for spring and a follow up on all your "building a wall garden" :-?

Wellcome back :lol:

Pia
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Reldon, your back!!!!!!! :P It's good to see you!!! Please don't leave, we all missed you!!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the nice welcomes. :) It's good to be back.

Pia - my wall garden should be interesting this year. It was well shaded by the tall [3-4 feet] weeds I never had time to pull last year. That was the 1st bed I tackled a couple of weeks ago when I started my spring cleanup. But I'm afraid there's enough weed seeds in there now to carry thru til the next millenium... :roll: Good thing I don't mind pulling them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Major color change in my H. June

Post by jobranch »

Notice the difference in my H. June - again the photo from late last summer after being in deep shade...

Same hosta today...

MollyD

Post by MollyD »

That is a dramatic difference! I've never seen that before and don't know anyone else who's June does that!!
Glad mine doesn't! She darkens a bit over the summer but never becomes all green like yours. Have you tried moving yours into more sun when it's starting to darken? Just curious here.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
thy

Post by thy »

HOW DID YOU GET THAT COLOR ???

Mine will be dusty blue in deep shade
Have it been in shade all growing season or....?
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

This was purchased very late in the summer, so this is the first year in my hosta bed - have not yet determined what it's current location will do to the color. The deep shade I mentioned was at the nursery where it was purchased.

Thy, I have not done anything unusual as far as placement to enhance the color. Just put in a spot where it would complement the hostas adjacent to it.

Jeff
thy

Post by thy »

Do not know
But are sure I would never see that coloration in the garden

So a greenhouse with heavy shadecloth is my guess... seen some strane coloration due to that :wink:

´The ´colors inthe last,... looking like a h. June is like a June in a sunny location here... but lovely
Hard to wait for them.....
sugar

Post by sugar »

thy wrote: Hard to wait for them.....
Not over here, it's up allready. Hard to keep it up, with all the night freezes ...

Tom
thy

Post by thy »

Sugar. sugar...please :D

Thought you had passed by the weather we have... spring in the day- winther in the nights- fiosts came late this year
Minus 15 C by my friends in southrn mid jutland... minus 12 C in Copenhagen...
minus 8 C in my garden..... all late March.
Sure I will have some strange leave tips this year

Out and in they go... the rest is out in the garden and I am crossing my fingers
sugar

Post by sugar »

it's just -1°C to -3°C :bd:

All plants are showing noses now, except for Praying Hands (the last plant to appear last year as well)

I have 3 hosta with flower stalks ...
New Topic Post Reply