Trillium

Use this forum to discuss full shade plants and shade gardening.

Moderators: Chris_W, Robyn

Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Trillium

Post by Ed_B »

Trillium grandifloria
This plant has been growing for 8/9 years, the number of flowers has increased every year.

Saucer Magnolia. Nice as long as it doesn't freeze, flowers will turn brown if it does.
Liselotte

Magnolia

Post by Liselotte »

Ed, beautiful pictures! :cool:

As a former Northern Illinois resident, I am always curious what's going on in your neck of the woods. If only I had more time to play in the forum :bd:
But yesterday I found my Trillium grandiflorum coming back with 5 buds (thought it was lost it for good). At the same time I was delighted how many buds my Magnolia sdlg. (from 1990) has. there must be a thousand buds, and the fragrance is out of this world!Of course, last night they announced frost and snow again for our altitude. Should run out and take pictures....
Ed_B

Magnolia seedling

Post by Ed_B »

Hi Liselotte

Please tell me how to start Magnolia's from seed.

Do they need to be chilled, nicked, etc. I had some seed from mine I tried planting indoors, outdoors, in the fall. in the spring, nothing worked. So please tell me the right way to start them.

Trilliums are my favorite spring flower, I have been slowly adding them to the garden. If I find nice corms, I buy them.
But most packages I see feel empty so I leave them in the store. I have a couple of reds, bought one yellow. " out there somewhere ", starting to see some results.

Ed
Liselotte

Magnolia

Post by Liselotte »

Ed, for the last 17 years I ordered my seeds from the Magnolia Soc. http://www.magnoliasociety.org/

You have to be a member and are then entitled to 6 pkts of seeds (between 2 and 5 $ each) That is the only way I know to get seeds from hard to find Magnolia. The seeds come in little plastic baggies,in moist peat and have been chilled for probably 3 months. I had good luck with germination until now. This year I am trying to grow some from my own seeds. However, I suspect, the seeds should be treated with a fungizide, because mine had some mold on it (washed it off) when I was ready to plant them.

I understand, the seeds have to be harvested when the berries are red and ripe. Remove the fleshy part und wash the seeds for several days, before storing them in the fridge (in peat). I did not scar mine, but will see if they germinate.

Good luck!
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Thanks Liselotte

I will try it again the way you described, I know that the fruit part wasn't soft any of the times I collected the seed before.
I must have collected them to soon.

Ed
New Topic Post Reply